[comp.sys.ibm.pc] EASY-NET hangs

trig@dkatrig.ka.sub.org (Georg Trietsch) (06/05/90)

Hi Netlanders!

I just downloaded EASY-NET.ARC from SIMTEL20. After installing the
program on two AT compatibles as described in the README, I tried to
start it. Both machines displayed the message "please wait" and nothing
happend.

I am using a cable with all handshake and data signals crossed. When I
tested each side with a monitor like COMHEX, nothing was sent on the
line.

My question is, if anyone out there got EASY-NET running what is my
mistake. BTW there are switches in the CONFIG.NET file as "address" and
"irq" which are not documented in the shareware paket. Is it possible to
run EASY-NET on COM3 with address 338h and any IRQ?

And, another question, are there other programs to link two AT
compatibles via RS232 for sharing disks and printers in a nondedicated
way, which can be downloaded via FTP?

Thanks in advance, Georg.

* -----   .    | UUCP  : trig@dkatrig.UUCP       |  Georg Trietsch  *
*  / /- /  /_> |         trig@dkatrig.ka.sub.org |     Karlsruhe    *
* / /  /   _/  | Voice : +49 721 406357          |  West - Germany  *

psfales@cbnewsc.att.com (Peter Fales) (06/07/90)

In article <ioDak1w162w@dkatrig.ka.sub.org>, trig@dkatrig.ka.sub.org (Georg Trietsch) writes:

> And, another question, are there other programs to link two AT
> compatibles via RS232 for sharing disks and printers in a nondedicated
> way, which can be downloaded via FTP?
>
> Thanks in advance, Georg.

It's not free, but I am a big fan of the "$25 Network" from a company
called Information Modes.  I don't have the address handy, but I have
seen their adds in several publications including Computer Shopper.

Documention is a little cryptic, but what do you expect for $25.00?  It
works great, allows printer and disk sharing, and only takes about 14K.
I leave it permanently installed on my desk top machine and whenever
I need a hard disk or printer on my laptop I just plug in and go.

(Followups to me, I don't normally read this group.)

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
N9IYJ            		2000 N. Naperville Rd.

schro@uqun05.UUCP (Martin Boening) (06/08/90)

trig@dkatrig.ka.sub.org (Georg Trietsch) writes:

>Hi Netlanders!

>I just downloaded EASY-NET.ARC from SIMTEL20. After installing the
>program on two AT compatibles as described in the README, I tried to
>start it. Both machines displayed the message "please wait" and nothing
>happend.

Hello
It doesn't work.  I tried it on XT and AT clones, 286 and 386 maschines
using a set of cables.  If you need a program to reliably hang your system
EASY-NET is second to none ;-)

If someone out there knows the trick to make it work i'd like to
hear about it,  because from the documentation this seems to be exactly
what i'm looking for.

--django

| W.F.Schroeder |  MS-Dos & OS/2 Systems  | Paper-: Nixdorf Computer AG |
| UUCP:  uunet!nixbur!schroeder.pad       |         Heinz-Nixdorf-Ring  |
| Phone: nat-5251-10-3525                 |         D-4790 Paderborn    |
| AMPR:  DL5YEC @ DB0BQ     73 es 55      |         Fed.Rep. of Germany |