[comp.sys.ibm.pc] CompuAdd 316SX experience/comments

lai@cs.arizona.edu (C. Patrick Lai) (06/01/90)

My friend is considering purchasing a CompuAdd 316SX (a 16MHz
386sx).  Has anyone had any experience with this machine?  He is
actually considering the "SX Success Kit": 316SX with color VGA,
1MB RAM, 80MB hard disk, 5.25 and 1.44 HD floppy drives, plus
Panasonic KX-P1124, mouse, and a bunch of software (DOS, Windows/386,
Spinnaker 8-in-1, etc).  I think this is a good deal for $2450
(plus tax), given that he will have local service -- he is buying
from the local CompuAdd retail.  Any comment?

-- Patrick Lai

lai@arizona.edu
{noao, cmcl2, att, uunet}!arizona!lai

dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (06/01/90)

Don't forget to ask for 1:1 interleave for the controller card !.
I had some experience to purchase computer(s) from CompuAdd, they
usually give us 3:1 or 2:1 if we didn't ask.

I have no comment on the price etc.

They do have good service.

Good luck

jfm@cs.odu.edu (John F. Mclaurin) (06/02/90)

In article <46500095@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Don't forget to ask for 1:1 interleave for the controller card !.
>I had some experience to purchase computer(s) from CompuAdd, they
>usually give us 3:1 or 2:1 if we didn't ask.
It is an IDE interface on the mother board.
>I have no comment on the price etc.
>They do have good service.
Haaahaaahhaahaaaa.

--

John F. McLaurin      jfm@xanth.cs.odu.edu     Acquisition Planning Corporation

marks@cattie.UUCP (06/05/90)

lai@cs.arizona.edu (C. Patrick Lai) writes:

> My friend is considering purchasing a CompuAdd 316SX (a 16MHz
> 386sx).  Has anyone had any experience with this machine?  He is
> actually considering the "SX Success Kit": 316SX with color VGA,
> 1MB RAM, 80MB hard disk, 5.25 and 1.44 HD floppy drives, plus
> Panasonic KX-P1124, mouse, and a bunch of software (DOS, Windows/386,
> Spinnaker 8-in-1, etc).  I think this is a good deal for $2450
> (plus tax), given that he will have local service -- he is buying
> from the local CompuAdd retail.  Any comment?

Hey, it seems good to me.  When did this pop up.  I don't recall seeing
it :-( and I just purchased a 386sx system.

Oh, well.
-----
Mark Schaffer     ...!uunet!cbmvax!hutch!cattie!marks
                  16448591@vuvaxcom.BITNET

reyn@trsvax.UUCP (06/06/90)

I have had a CompuAdd 316s since January, and aside from my annoyance that
the price has dropped substantially, I have absolutely no complaints.

The most radical thing about CompuAdd is their attention to detail and good
service.  My machine came with the hard drive formatted and ready to go.
Even the packing material was first class, with the 800 customer support
number boldly emblazoned instead of hidden in the back of a manual.

My only occassions to contact them after the sale were to have some of the
software copied onto 3 1/2' disks from 5 1/4".  Somebody goofed and didn't
notice that I only had a 3 1/2" floppy, and I called them recently to find
out if they had a Windows Super VGA driver for their video card (they will next
month).

A friend of mine bought the special you are describing.  She did have to
take the machine back due to a hard disk failure, but that turned out to be
nothing more than a loose cable.

gpatel@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Gautam Patel) (06/06/90)

In article <HTq0J2w162w@cattie.UUCP> marks@cattie.UUCP writes:
>lai@cs.arizona.edu (C. Patrick Lai) writes:
>
>> My friend is considering purchasing a CompuAdd 316SX (a 16MHz
>> 386sx).  Has anyone had any experience with this machine?  He is
>> actually considering the "SX Success Kit": 316SX with color VGA,
>> 1MB RAM, 80MB hard disk, 5.25 and 1.44 HD floppy drives, plus
>> Panasonic KX-P1124, mouse, and a bunch of software (DOS, Windows/386,
>> Spinnaker 8-in-1, etc).  I think this is a good deal for $2450
>> (plus tax), given that he will have local service -- he is buying
>> from the local CompuAdd retail.  Any comment?

	My boss has the exact same machine and his hard drive has
crashed twice already.  I'm not sure if the drives are inherently
defective or whether he just got unlucky.

	Gautam

schuster@dasys1.uucp (Michael Schuster) (06/09/90)

In article <21726@megaron.cs.arizona.edu> lai@cs.arizona.edu (C. Patrick Lai) writes:
>My friend is considering purchasing a CompuAdd 316SX (a 16MHz
>386sx).  Has anyone had any experience with this machine?  He is

Not directly. But a month or so ago there was a message thread on
CompuServe's IBM hardware forum. That very model was mentioned, and
the poster said he'd received one that had so many jumpers on the
motherboard he thought they were selling PROTOTYPES. Caveat emptor.

--
l\  /l'   _  Mike Schuster        DELPHI,GEnie,MCI Mail:MSCHUSTER
l \/ lll/(_  Big Electric Cat     schuster@bec.com  (...cmcl2!dasys1!schuster)