[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 2400 buad MNP 5 modems

allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) (06/08/90)

I am considering buying a 2400 baud MNP 5 modem to replace my dying
1200 baud.  I am interested in finding out good or bad experiences,
and where a reliable product can be had inexpensively.  In the
USA*FLEX Catalog I have, they list a Cardinal 4800 baud with MNP 5
hardware (I am almost sure they are talking about a 2400 baud modem
and referring to the effective 4800 baud throughput with MNP 5 for
text) for $139 internal and $159 external.  Does anyone have
experience with this "Cardinal" modem?

My next question is regarding the UARTS on internal modems.  Do most/some
manufactures put a 16550 or equivalent UART (16 byte FIFO buffered
UART) on their cards, so that they will reliable work even in a
multitasking environment (WINDOWS 3.0, OS 2, Deskview, or Unix)?  If
not it seems that it would be worth the money to get an external modem
that could be hooked up through a 16550 serial port, so that
background transfers would work reliably.

--

	Kevin Allred
	allred@emx.cc.utexas.edu

jbloom@uhasun.hartford.edu (Jon Bloom) (06/10/90)

In article <31216@ut-emx.UUCP>, allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) writes:
> I am considering buying a 2400 baud MNP 5 modem to replace my dying
> 1200 baud.  I am interested in finding out good or bad experiences,
> and where a reliable product can be had inexpensively.  In the
> USA*FLEX Catalog I have, they list a Cardinal 4800 baud with MNP 5
> hardware (I am almost sure they are talking about a 2400 baud modem
> and referring to the effective 4800 baud throughput with MNP 5 for
> text) for $139 internal and $159 external.  Does anyone have
> experience with this "Cardinal" modem?

Yes, I bought one (external) for about the same price at the Trenton
Computerfest in April.  So far, nary a hitch nor a glitch.  The manual
is adequate--not spectacular, but the troubleshooting info is handy.

Jon
--
Jon Bloom, KE3Z                              | American Radio Relay League
Internet: jbloom@uhasun.hartford.edu         |