[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MS Windows 3.0 questions

cg108fep@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) (06/06/90)

I just got a 20 MHZ 386 and I need an environment I can
multitask in.  I'm going to be doing some work with neural nets
which means I need to run long repetitive processes in the
background for long periods of time.

My mom gave me the old MSWindows about 3 years ago,
and the $50 upgrade looks very attractive.

But before I plunk down the $50, I have a few questions:

1> I'd like to do some development work this summer.  What does it
take to write Windows specific applications?  MUST I buy some $500
development package to write some freeware?

2> What won't run under windows?

3> Are there any better alternatives?

4> Is it really going to be on 1/3 to 1/2 of every PC out there?

--
Dennis "Still looking for a job" Lou | DISCLAIMER: Disclaimers don't work!
   pa1568@sdcc13.ucsd.edu            |

pajerek@usenet@kadsma (Don Pajerek) (06/06/90)

In article <11236@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cg108fep@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) writes:
>... before I plunk down the $50, I have a few questions:
>
>1> I'd like to do some development work this summer.  What does it
>take to write Windows specific applications?  MUST I buy some $500
>development package to write some freeware?

Yes, you must have the Windows SDK, for the libraries if nothing else.
It can be bought for about $350 from a mail order vendor.

>2> What won't run under windows?

Since you have a 386, you are in good shape. You should be able to run
most DOS applications as well as both old and new Windows apps. Certain
memory management software (QEMM) won't work, though.

>3> Are there any better alternatives?

For multitasking? Maybe you should look at DesqView/386.

>4> Is it really going to be on 1/3 to 1/2 of every PC out there?

Doubtful, though it will probably win converts from the previously
unimpressed. I would say that 1/3 represents the high end, not the low.

>--
>Dennis "Still looking for a job" Lou | DISCLAIMER: Disclaimers don't work!

Don Pajerek

shim@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Sam Shim) (06/06/90)

>1> I'd like to do some development work this summer.  What does it
>take to write Windows specific applications?  MUST I buy some $500
>development package to write some freeware?

Not sure.

>2> What won't run under windows?

Expanded memory managers not made by Microsoft such as QEMM, 386 to the Max,
etc..  Most disk cache programs except Microsoft's disk cache and Super
PC-Kwik.  Some of the older Windows apps until they are updated.

>3> Are there any better alternatives?

For multitasking, Desqview is better.  For the graphical interface, I heard
that running Hewlett Packard's New Wave on top of Windows 3.0 is the best.

>4> Is it really going to be on 1/3 to 1/2 of every PC out there?

Doubt it.  Windows is currently installed in 5% of all PCs, but only 2% of
PCs are currently running Windows (These numbers are from Infoworld or PC
Week).  I think that in 2 years, Windows might be running on 1/3 to 1/2 of
all the new PCs bought.  Not 1/3 to 1/2 of all PCs since there are a lot of
8088 PCs out there, and it would be a waste to run Windows on it as the main
interface (as opposed to command.com) since you will have something like 350K
free.

|  Sam Shim                                   | "I didn't do it...            |
|  EECS Departmental Computing Organization   |  It wasn't me...              |
|  University of Michigan                     |  Nobody saw me do it...       |
|  Ann Arbor, MI 48109                        |  Nobody can prove a thing..." |
|  internet: shim@eecs.umich.edu              |  - Bart Simpson               |

stevek@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Steve Kauder) (06/08/90)

> Is it really going to be on 1/3 to 1/2 of every PC out there?

In my view, no way!  I did spend some time on a friend's 20mz 386
running Windows 3.0.  It has a wonderful interface.  But I don't
spend much time with the operating system level interface.  I spend
my time in applications.  I don't see any reason to slow them down
by running Windows.

I did a DIR from the DOS command level interface on my friend's
system.  It was about 30% as fast as a DIR on my slower (16mz 386).
That certainly is not a benefit.

Who thinks everyone will run Windows?  Well, manufacturers always
think their product will take the world by storm.  Magazine reviewers
always (1) are interested in the latest and greatest and (2) work
for organizations who receive funding (advertising revenue) from
manufacturers.

Steve K.

wallwey@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) (06/11/90)

In article <670017@hpfcmgw.HP.COM> stevek@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Steve Kauder) writes:
>> Is it really going to be on 1/3 to 1/2 of every PC out there?
>
>In my view, no way!  I did spend some time on a friend's 20mz 386
>running Windows 3.0.  It has a wonderful interface.  But I don't
>spend much time with the operating system level interface.  I spend
>my time in applications.  I don't see any reason to slow them down
>by running Windows.
>Steve K.

I agree that there is no way that windows will be running on 1/2 to 1/3
of the PC out there for one simple reason:  You need at least a 286 and
for most people a 386 with VGA or better to really benifit from windows.
Maybe 1/2 to 1/3 of 386 owners might use Windows 3.0 in a year or two.

You also said that you are primarily a Aplications users.  This is where
Windows will really shine.  I just read in today's paper that
"The companies writing programs for Windows include all the usual
software suspects - Ashton-Tate, Lotus, Borland, Word Perfect, Aldus,
IBM, etc. -plus scores of smaller outfits"

		My $0.02 worth....Maybe less....
		-Dean Wallwey