[comp.sys.ibm.pc] cross linked file problems... HELP!

sekoppenhoef@rose.uwaterloo.ca (Shawn E. Koppenhoefer) (06/01/90)

When I run CHKDSK /F I get the following report:

C:\WORDPROC\TEX\PK\432\CMB10.GF
    Is cross linked on cluster 216
C:\SHAWN
    Is cross linked on cluster 216
C:\WORDPROC\TEX\INPUTS\NULL.TEX
    Is cross linked on cluster 216

and then the normal info about disk space, hidden files, directies etc.

QUESTION: *how do i get rid of these cross links?! I thought /F was supposed
           to fix the problem?! Anyone I've asked has said they have no idea.
           No-one seems to know what the trouble is or how to fix it! :-(

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|       _ _       KLEIN BOTTLE for sale...
        Shawn E. Koppenhoefer |        |        enquire within.

reeves@dvinci.usask.ca (Malcolm Reeves) (06/02/90)

From article <1990Jun1.160056.11952@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, by sekoppenhoef@rose.uwaterloo.ca (Shawn E. Koppenhoefer):
> When I run CHKDSK /F I get the following report:
>
> C:\WORDPROC\TEX\PK\432\CMB10.GF
>     Is cross linked on cluster 216
> C:\SHAWN
>     Is cross linked on cluster 216
> C:\WORDPROC\TEX\INPUTS\NULL.TEX
>     Is cross linked on cluster 216
>
> and then the normal info about disk space, hidden files, directies etc.
>
> QUESTION: *how do i get rid of these cross links?! I thought /F was supposed
>            to fix the problem?! Anyone I've asked has said they have no idea.
>            No-one seems to know what the trouble is or how to fix it! :-(

The problem is that the file allocation table (FAT) for both files contains
an entry for cluster 216 (for reasons too numerous to mention). The fix is
to use a hex editor of a utility like Norton Utilities to patch the two FAT's.
The problem is that one or both files will probably be damaged. For ASCII text
the clean up may be minor - for binary files you should refer to your most
recent backup :-)  If you have a nice fresh clean disk the FAT's may show some
signs of pattern, for an old well-used, fragmented disk you have a problem.
Good luck.

keithm@wicat.UUCP (Keith McQueen) (06/11/90)

In article <1990Jun1.160056.11952@watdragon.waterloo.edu> sekoppenhoef@rose.uwaterloo.ca (Shawn E. Koppenhoefer) writes:
>When I run CHKDSK /F I get the following report:

. . .   Report of several crosslinked files . . .

This means that the files ALL have the cluster in question
allocated to them.  What you have to do is get down to only
one file having the cluster allocated.  Usually this means
deleting all but one of the files in question and then
running CHKDSK /F again.

--
 Keith McQueen, Wicat Systems Inc. , (801)224-6400      | My opinions are |
 N7HMF @ NV7V.UT.USA.NA (84058), 147.34+, 449.675-      | all mine...     |