[comp.sys.ibm.pc] chip speed

ctt31684@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (06/11/90)

Hi, I'm wondering if there is a simple microprcessor-speed and memory chip-
speed relationship.  I know there is a relationship, but I'm not sure how
fast a memory chip I need for a certain speed.  More specifically, what
speed memory chips do I need for a 10MHz 80286-10 and for a 4.77 MHz 8088
(true IBM PC)?  (I'm using 100ns chips for the first one right now, I'm
not sure of the second one)
-Ching (email ctt31684@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu)

robertb@cs.washington.edu (Robert Bedichek) (06/11/90)

In article <46500104@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> ctt31684@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Hi, I'm wondering if there is a simple microprcessor-speed and memory chip-
>speed relationship.

In general there isn't.  The speed that your memories must be is a
function of the board design, the speed of the other chips, the clock
frequencies, etc.

>I know there is a relationship, but I'm not sure how
>fast a memory chip I need for a certain speed.  More specifically, what
>speed memory chips do I need for a 10MHz 80286-10 and for a 4.77 MHz 8088
>(true IBM PC)?  (I'm using 100ns chips for the first one right now, I'm
>not sure of the second one)

100ns is probably fast enough for the first system and almost surely
fast enough for the second.  But again, it is a function of values that
you and I don't know.  I'd just use the 100ns chips and not worry about
it if the system works.  If you want to be more careful either find the
manual and see what it says or buy the fastest chips that you can.  I
think it is very unlikely that either system would require chips
faster than 80ns.

>-Ching (email ctt31684@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu)

(I'm posting this so that 100 kind people don't all send this fellow
the same information.  If I've missed something either followup or
cc me so that I know.  Thanks.)

	Rob Bedichek