[comp.sys.ibm.pc] SPARC -> MS-DOS

dubnicki@cs.rochester.edu (06/07/90)

I would like to transfer files from SPARC sation 1
to MS-DOS machine. Since both computers have 3.5 diskette drives
the obvious way is to use them for this transfer.

Does anybody know about MS-DOS program which can read
diskettes written by SPARC station (or UNIX program
which can write files on such diskette in MS-DOS format)?

Thanks,

Cezary Dubnicki
University of Rochester
dubnicki@cs.rochester.edu

destefan@cps.msu.edu (John F. DeStefano) (06/07/90)

From article <1990Jun6.183611.1861@cs.rochester.edu>, by dubnicki@cs.rochester.edu:
> I would like to transfer files from SPARC sation 1
> to MS-DOS machine. Since both computers have 3.5 diskette drives
> the obvious way is to use them for this transfer.

There are a set of programs for the SPARCstations 1 called
sparc-mtools that will let you read and write DOS formatted disks.
They allow you do things like copy, get directories, format, type
files from DOS.  They support low and high density formats.  They were
in comp.sources.misc Volume 11 (there is a set of patches in Volume
12).  I got them from uunet.uu.net.

Hope this helps... ...John...

--
 ----              ------------------------------------------             ----
| John F. DeStefano, CPS Student -- AI/KBS Group -- Michigan State University |

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (06/08/90)

dubnicki@cs.rochester.edu writes:
>I would like to transfer files from SPARC sation 1
>to MS-DOS machine. Since both computers have 3.5 diskette drives
>the obvious way is to use them for this transfer.
>
>Does anybody know about MS-DOS program which can read
>diskettes written by SPARC station (or UNIX program
>which can write files on such diskette in MS-DOS format)?

Yes, get DOSWindows for SunOS.  It's an MS-DOS emulator under SunOS.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

bakke@plains.UUCP (Jeffrey P. Bakke) (06/08/90)

In article <3041@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>dubnicki@cs.rochester.edu writes:
>>I would like to transfer files from SPARC sation 1
>>to MS-DOS machine. Since both computers have 3.5 diskette drives
>>the obvious way is to use them for this transfer.
>>
>>Does anybody know about MS-DOS program which can read
>>diskettes written by SPARC station (or UNIX program
>>which can write files on such diskette in MS-DOS format)?
>
> Yes, get DOSWindows for SunOS.  It's an MS-DOS emulator under SunOS.

Sounds like an interesting program.  Now would someone like to part with
information as to where and who it can be purchased from???

The answer was rather cryptic....

Jeffrey P. Bakke     | Internet: bakke@plains.NoDak.edu | "Life... don't talk
2550 15th Str S #23B | UUCP    : ...!uunet!plains!bakke |  to me about life..."
Fargo, ND  58105     | BITNET  : bakke@plains.bitnet    |    - Marvin the PA

tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu (Tom [Chris] Murphy) (06/09/90)

In article <1990Jun6.183611.1861@cs.rochester.edu> dubnicki@cs.rochester.edu writes:
>I would like to transfer files from SPARC sation 1
>to MS-DOS machine. Since both computers have 3.5 diskette drives
>the obvious way is to use them for this transfer.
>
>Does anybody know about MS-DOS program which can read
>diskettes written by SPARC station (or UNIX program
>which can write files on such diskette in MS-DOS format)?

I have managed to get programs to go both ways.  There is a package called
MTOOLS that allows Unix machines to read and write MSDOS disks (this should
be archived in comp.sources.unix), and PC versions of tar exist that can
be used to access disks written using tar on the SS1.

Thomas C. Murphy, N1HQL                 |  Internet:   tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu
Worcester Polytechnic Institute CAD Lab |              tmurphy@zaphod.wpi.edu
100 Institute Road                      |  BITNET:     TMURPHY@WPI.BITNET
Worcester, MA  01609                    |  CompuServe: 73766,130
Phone (508) 831-5323                    |
Fax   (508) 831-5680                    |

      Guns don't kill people, people kill people ... usually with guns.

anderson@udder.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (06/10/90)

In article <4987@plains.UUCP> bakke@plains.UUCP (Jeffrey P. Bakke) writes:
]
]In article <3041@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
]>dubnicki@cs.rochester.edu writes:
]>>I would like to transfer files from SPARC sation 1
]>>to MS-DOS machine.

]> Yes, get DOSWindows for SunOS.  It's an MS-DOS emulator under SunOS.

]Sounds like an interesting program.  Now would someone like to part with
]information as to where and who it can be purchased from???

]The answer was rather cryptic....

That's somewhat surprising.  It's a Sun product.  Try

Sun Microsystems, Inc.
2550 Garcia Avenue
Mountain View, CA 94043
415/960-1300

For US sales office locations, call 800/821-4643.

--
==Jess Anderson===Academic Computing Center=====Univ. Wisconsin-Madison=====
| Work: Rm. 2160, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706, Ph. 608/263-6988 |

ajayshah@aludra.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (06/10/90)

In article <3041@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>I would like to transfer files from SPARC sation 1
>to MS-DOS machine.

At the RAND Corporation, we have a bunch of programs

	mcopy
	mdel
	mdir
	mmd
	mrd

etc. which support manipulations of DOS-formatted 3.5" floppies
(either LD or HD) on the SPARC disk drive.  They work beautifully
except for the following glitches:

	1. I'm pretty convinced copying from SPARC to DOS is buggy,
	2. You can't format DOS disks (there is no mformat),
	3. There is no mcd, instead you have to establish the
	environmental variable MCWD.

I don't know whether these programs are part of standard sun
distribution or were written at RAND or were picked off some
public domain sources by administrators at RAND.

Hope this helped..and how does one possibly run a DOS-Windows on
the SPARC?  Does it emulate the 8088, instruction by
instruction?

Ajay Shah, (213)747-9991, ajayshah@usc.edu
                              The more things change, the more they stay insane.

woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) (06/10/90)

> In article <3041@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
> >dubnicki@cs.rochester.edu writes:
> >>I would like to transfer files from SPARC sation 1
> >>to MS-DOS machine. Since both computers have 3.5 diskette drives
> >>the obvious way is to use them for this transfer.

I missed the original query, hence the double quote, but a much simpler
way is to use the mtools utility posted to comp.sources.unix which allow
MSDOS diskettes to read by Suns.

							Ron
+ Ronald S. Woan                                     woan@peyote.cactus.org +

jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) (06/10/90)

In article <10119@chaph.usc.edu> ajayshah@aludra.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
> In article <3041@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>>I would like to transfer files from SPARC sation 1
>>to MS-DOS machine.
>
> At the RAND Corporation, we have a bunch of programs
>
>   mcopy
>   mdel
>   mdir
>   mmd
>   mrd
>
>  etc. which support manipulations of DOS-formatted 3.5" floppies
>  (either LD or HD) on the SPARC disk drive.  They work beautifully
>  except for the following glitches:

This is the "mtools" package.  It is available through FTP, but
I don't know where it is located (I got my copy elsewhere).

>	   1. I'm pretty convinced copying from SPARC to DOS is buggy,

Can you be more specific?  I've copied several Mbytes without trouble.

>	   2. You can't format DOS disks (there is no mformat),

You can with "mkdfs", which is part of the package.  There are options
for 720K and 1.44M formats.
--
Steve Jacobs  ({bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!jacobs, jacobs@cs.utah.edu)

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (06/11/90)

bakke@plains.UUCP (Jeffrey P. Bakke) writes:

>In article <3041@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>>dubnicki@cs.rochester.edu writes:
>>>I would like to transfer files from SPARC sation 1
>>>to MS-DOS machine. Since both computers have 3.5 diskette drives
>>>the obvious way is to use them for this transfer.
>>>
>>>Does anybody know about MS-DOS program which can read
>>>diskettes written by SPARC station (or UNIX program
>>>which can write files on such diskette in MS-DOS format)?
>>
>> Yes, get DOSWindows for SunOS.  It's an MS-DOS emulator under SunOS.
>>
>Sounds like an interesting program.  Now would someone like to part with
>information as to where and who it can be purchased from???
>
>The answer was rather cryptic....

It's a Sun product.  Call your local Sun office or VAR for details on pricing
and ordering it.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*

cg108fep@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) (06/11/90)

In article <JACOBS.90Jun10132303@cmos.cs.utah.edu> jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
>>	   2. You can't format DOS disks (there is no mformat),
>You can with "mkdfs", which is part of the package.  There are options
>for 720K and 1.44M formats.

Does it have the same "can't read 720k disk on 720k drive if disk
has been formatted on 1.44M drive" problem (because the high density
head is narrower than the low density head)?

--
Dennis "Still looking for a job" Lou | DISCLAIMER: Disclaimers don't work!
   pa1568@sdcc13.ucsd.edu            |

jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) (06/11/90)

In article <11364@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cg108fep@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) writes:
> In article <JACOBS.90Jun10132303@cmos.cs.utah.edu> jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
>>>	   2. You can't format DOS disks (there is no mformat),
>>You can with "mkdfs", which is part of the package.  There are options
>>for 720K and 1.44M formats.
>

> Does it have the same "can't read 720k disk on 720k drive if disk
> has been formatted on 1.44M drive" problem (because the high density
> head is narrower than the low density head)?

I believe the heads on the 1.44M drives are the same width as the heads
on the 720K drives.  The increase in density is achieved by putting twice
as many sectors on each track, but the number of tracks is 80 in both
cases.

The high-density vs. low-density problem only exists for the 5" floppies
(1.2M vs. 360K)
--
Steve Jacobs  ({bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!jacobs, jacobs@cs.utah.edu)