[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Is there a QEMM V5.0-like creature for us poor beleagured 286ers???

silk@dhw68k.cts.com (Mitch Gorman) (06/11/90)

	So, is there?

	I'd dearly love to be able to throw my various TSRs and mouse software
and whatnot (especially the whatnot!) up into high memory, so I wouldn't need
to play memory games to run stuff like Ventura...

	Does Quarterdeck make a version of 286s??  Is it as potent as the
driver I just installed on every '386 at work?

	Mitch Gorman		Internet:  silk@dhw68k.cts.com
				uucp:  ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!silk
"Never seen the same face twice, never walked the same way;
 	And the little love that I have known I keep to myself."
		- Genesis, "Say It's Alright, Joe", _And Then There Were Three_

djb@wjh12.harvard.edu (David J. Birnbaum) (06/11/90)

In article <1990Jun10.180153.2459@dhw68k.cts.com> silk@dhw68k.cts.com (Mitch Gorman) writes:

>	So, is there?
>
>	I'd dearly love to be able to throw my various TSRs and mouse software
>and whatnot (especially the whatnot!) up into high memory, so I wouldn't need
>to play memory games to run stuff like Ventura...
>
>	Does Quarterdeck make a version of 286s??  Is it as potent as the
>driver I just installed on every '386 at work?

Quarterdeck makes Qram, a loadhi utility for 286s.  It will load device
drivers, tsrs, and dos files and buffers into umbs (memory above 640k and
below 1m).

As an alternative, Qualitas makes Move'EM, which is similar.  Move'EM will
not load files and buffers high, since Qualitas doesn't think it is
reliable (I do it with Qram with no trouble).  Move'EM does include an
option to dump the environment for tsrs that are loaded high.  Tsrs don't
usually need their environment copies after installation, so this lets
you reuse the memory for something else.  Memory management is clever
enough to do this without creating little holes in memory.

--David

David J. Birnbaum         djb@wjh12.harvard.edu [Internet]
                          djb@harvunxw.bitnet   [Bitnet]