[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Windows Programming

ahd@kendra.kew.com (Drew Derbyshire) (06/12/90)

From article <1990Jun11.110735.13581@usenet@kadsma>, by pajerek@usenet@kadsma (Don Pajerek):
> In article <1990Jun10.232459.28297@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> ahd@kendra.kew.com (Drew Derbyshire) writes:
>>Well, major question ... is the SDK needed to get to the API?
>
> Yes, you do need the SDK. And make sure, when placing your order,
> that you get the new 3.0 SDK, and not an old 2.0 version that is
> still sitting on the shelf.

Okay everyone, write down this number:

	1-800-323-3577

Which is the toll free "Windows Hot Line" (Product Information).  Now
call them (you may have to ask for department L21, but I did NOT) and
tell them to tell their manager and HIS/HER manager that if they want
people to write cheap software for Windows, they have to drop the price
of the Windows SDK (System Development Kit).  Be warned, you could be
on hold a while ... but it's their phone bill.  :-)

In my case, I was going to port UUPC, which is a freeware UUCP style
mailer, to Windows.  However, I'm not going to speed $500 for the SDK,
the Microsoft quoted price, just so I can multitask my mailer on a
286 box.

When I called, I talked to a very nice person.  My advice is to be
nice, and be SPECIFIC as to your use of the SDK if it cost a reasonable
price; they won't have reason to listen to people who abusive or not
serious.

Finally, dump this post on five fellow programmers and have THEM call.

Drew Derbyshire

Internet:  ahd@kendra.kew.com            Snail mail:  108 Decatur St, Apt 9
Voice:     617-641-3739                               Arlington, MA 02174