[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Non-DOS drive error?

banshee@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Wailin' Through The Nets) (06/04/90)

My zenith PC has just developed an odd symptom.  During some disk operations,
we had a power flicker -- when the system was powered back, everything seemed
to be fine until I tried to run pctool to undelete a file.  "Error in FAT".
I ran chkdsk, which responded with "Probable non-DOS disk.  Continue?".

My drive SEEMS to be fine.  It accesses, it writes, everything is normal.
When I tell chkdsk to continue it reports the disk as being fine.  I ran
Nortons Disk Doctor -- it reported that the FATs differed (2 on my drive)
and corrected that.

But chkdsk still claims that I have a "Non-DOS disk" even though eveything
runs fine.  I am concerned -- does anyone have any advice?

banshee@ucscb.UCSC.EDU

gary@hpbbrd.HP.COM (Gary Tuosto) (06/06/90)

>> / hpbbrd:comp.sys.ibm.pc / banshee@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Wailin' Through The Nets) /  2:16 pm  Jun  3, 1990 /
>> My zenith PC has just developed an odd symptom.  During some disk operations,
>> we had a power flicker -- when the system was powered back, everything seemed
>> to be fine until I tried to run pctool to undelete a file.  "Error in FAT".
>> I ran chkdsk, which responded with "Probable non-DOS disk.  Continue?".
>>
>> My drive SEEMS to be fine.  It accesses, it writes, everything is normal.
>> When I tell chkdsk to continue it reports the disk as being fine.  I ran
>> Nortons Disk Doctor -- it reported that the FATs differed (2 on my drive)
>> and corrected that.
>>
>> But chkdsk still claims that I have a "Non-DOS disk" even though eveything
>> runs fine.  I am concerned -- does anyone have any advice?
>>
>> banshee@ucscb.UCSC.EDU
>> ----------

Are you sure that NDD actually corrected the FAT? I had the same problem with
the "Probable non-DOS disk. Continue?" message and NDD corrected it.

Gary

elund@pro-graphics.cts.com (Eric Lund) (06/11/90)

>> My zenith PC has just developed an odd symptom.  During some disk operations,
>> we had a power flicker -- when the system was powered back, everything seemed
>> to be fine until I tried to run pctool to undelete a file.  "Error in FAT".
>> I ran chkdsk, which responded with "Probable non-DOS disk.  Continue?".
<<<<cut>>>>
> Are you sure that NDD actually corrected the FAT? I had the same problem with
> the "Probable non-DOS disk. Continue?" message and NDD corrected it.

This seems to be a popular problem.  What has happened is something has
altered your FAT improperly.  The media descriptor byte, which should be F8
hex for hard disks, has been changed to something else.  Grab a FAT editor,
such as the one in Norton Utilities, and change the FIRST byte of the FAT to
hex F8.  That should do it.

Eric W. Lund                             ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!elund@nosc.mil
                                          Internet: elund@pro-graphics.cts.com
                                             UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!elund
                                                    Proline:elund@pro-graphics
                                                              Prodigy: xcbr22b

mlord@bnr-rsc.UUCP (Mark Lord) (06/11/90)

>>> I ran chkdsk, which responded with "Probable non-DOS disk.  Continue?".
>> Are you sure that NDD actually corrected the FAT? I had the same problem with
>> the "Probable non-DOS disk. Continue?" message and NDD corrected it.
>
>This seems to be a popular problem.  What has happened is something has
>altered your FAT improperly.  The media descriptor byte, which should be F8
>hex for hard disks, has been changed to something else.  Grab a FAT editor,
>such as the one in Norton Utilities, and change the FIRST byte of the FAT to
>hex F8.  That should do it.

Perhaps a little TOO popular ?  Same thing occured on my system the other night.
Neither FLU-SHOT+ nor SCANV63 found anything suspicious though..  I just applied
this same fix and all is normal.. if it recurr's I'm going hunting, though..
--
 ___Mark S. Lord_________________________ _____________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!bmerh614!mlord         | These are only my opinions. |

tomf@cms2.UUCP (Tom Fortner) (06/12/90)

In article <3177@bnr-rsc.UUCP# mlord@bnr-rsc.UUCP (Mark Lord) writes:
#>>> I ran chkdsk, which responded with "Probable non-DOS disk.  Continue?".
#>> Are you sure that NDD actually corrected the FAT? I had the same problem with
#>> the "Probable non-DOS disk. Continue?" message and NDD corrected it.
#>
#
#Perhaps a little TOO popular ?  Same thing occured on my system the other night.
#Neither FLU-SHOT+ nor SCANV63 found anything suspicious though..  I just applied
#this same fix and all is normal.. if it recurr's I'm going hunting, though..

In the process of reading and writing to the disk the cylinder and sector
definitions become less and less defines. Also, system lock-ups resulting
in cold boots damage files and cause FAT problems. Some programs (like
Ventura Desktop Publisher) require total control over all areas of real
and extended memory and when they are denied, they lock-up the system
and damage files. If you use such a RAM hog program, do not use memory
allocation statememts such as shell=c:\command.com /e:128, or TSR's
that may cause memory errors.
Tom

--
    Tom Fortner                        ** The greatest gift a man can offer
    Christian Medical & Dental Society ** his Maker is a repentant committed