[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hidden subdirectories??

bchs1b@jetson.uh.edu (06/08/90)

Is there any way to change the attribute on a directory or subdirectory
so that it is hidden? I would like a subdirectory not to appear when
someone is casually looking at the disk, but if you CD to the subdirectory
then all the files will be visible.

Thanks

MIke Benedik
University of Houston
Benedik@UH.EDU  or Benedik@UHOU

bmarsh@cod.NOSC.MIL (William C. Marsh) (06/09/90)

In article <6350.266e60ce@jetson.uh.edu> bchs1b@jetson.uh.edu writes:
>Is there any way to change the attribute on a directory or subdirectory
>so that it is hidden? I would like a subdirectory not to appear when
>someone is casually looking at the disk, but if you CD to the subdirectory
>then all the files will be visible.

Yes, there is a simple solution, but the implementation is a little hard.
All you have to do is set the Hidden bit in the directory entry for the
directory itself.  However, you will need to use NU or some other sector
editor to set the bit.  It does work, as my computer at home has a 'secret'
directory on it... (And it doesn't even mess up chkdsk either :-)

You have to go into the parent directory of the sub-directory to find the
entry with the subdirectory name in it.  Each directory entry is 32 bytes
long, and the first 11 bytes is the file (or subdirectory) name.  The 12th
byte is the attribute byte.  For a normal subdirectory, it should have a
10h in it.  You need to change it to 12h to hide the subdirectory.

To un-hide the directory, change the 12h back to a 10h.

Hope this helps!

Bill
--
Bill Marsh, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA
{arpa,mil}net: bmarsh@cod.nosc.mil

kmcvay@oneb (Ken McVay) (06/10/90)

>Is there any way to change the attribute on a directory or subdirectory
>so that it is hidden? I would like a subdirectory not to appear when
>someone is casually looking at the disk, but if you CD to the subdirectory
>then all the files will be visible.

The easiest way to manage that is to create the directory using ALT-2-5-5 as
the name - enter "md" and then hold down the ALT key while you tap 255 ...
the directory is casually invisible - I've found it pretty secure, and easy
to get used to. The ALT combination is also easy to use in a batch file in
the same way any "standard" name would be used.

aceverj@accucx.cc.ruu.nl (Jaap Verhage) (06/10/90)

>>Is there any way to change the attribute on a directory or subdirectory
>>so that it is hidden? I would like a subdirectory not to appear when
>>someone is casually looking at the disk, but if you CD to the subdirectory
>>then all the files will be visible.
Let me add my one guilder advice: apart from doing things to
subdirectory entries and/or using weird names (<Alt-255>), you
could use the `secret' programs: MDSECRET, CDSECRET, RDSECRET.
I must've gotten them from a disk sponsored by a computer club
here in Holland; they're pretty old programs, but they work.
They could be lying around on Simtel; I'd check
<MSDOS.DIRUTL>.

jal@acc (John Lauro) (06/11/90)

In article <6350.266e60ce@jetson.uh.edu> bchs1b@jetson.uh.edu writes:
>Is there any way to change the attribute on a directory or subdirectory
>so that it is hidden? I would like a subdirectory not to appear when
>someone is casually looking at the disk, but if you CD to the subdirectory
>then all the files will be visible.
>
>Thanks
>
>MIke Benedik
>University of Houston
>Benedik@UH.EDU  or Benedik@UHOU

I have seen a few followups to this mentioning various ways, such as
using norton, or the <ALT>255 trick, and mdsecret.  (The later two not
doing exactly what was asked, because it *changes* the name of the directory.)
The easiest way I know of is a pd program called chmod.com.  It's only
about 6k long, and works well for files and directories.  This is a
retype, so spelling errors are my own:

C:\> chmod
CHMOD:  List or set file attributes.  Usage is:
    CHMOD <files>               List attributes.
    CHMOD <files> +<attribs>    Set attributes.
    CHMOD <files> -<attribs>    Remove attributes.
Attributes are: S == System, R == Read only, H == Hidden,
A == Archive, V == Volume ID. Volume ID cannot be changed.
Each file is listed with the new or current attrbutes.
The <files> specifier may be a full pathname.

The nice thing I like about chmod, is that it takes wild cards, and it
works on directories too.

Sorry, I don't know a archive that has this.  (I know I seen it many places.)
If you can't find it, mail me and I'll mail a uuencoded copy.

   - John Lauro    john_lauro@ub.cc.umich.edu

richard@iesd.auc.dk (Richard Flamsholt S0rensen) (06/11/90)

  If you're using 4DOS, try   attrib /d +h <directory>

--
/Richard Flamsholt
richard@iesd.auc.dk

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (06/11/90)

In a recent article kmcvay@oneb (Ken McVay) writes:
>Is there any way to change the attribute on a directory or subdirectory
>so that it is hidden? I would like a subdirectory not to appear when
>someone is casually looking at the disk, but if you CD to the subdirectory
>then all the files will be visible.

The most direct way is to use Norton Utilities to set the "hidden"
bit in the directory which contains the entry for the directory you
want to hide.  Do this and a DIR listing of the higher-level directory
won't show the entry, but an explicit DIR of the hidden directory will
work as usual.

Be aware, though, that several shell programs will have problems with
this structure because they want you to work your way down the tree
from the root directory.  If a directory is hidden they won't allow
you to reach through it to the lower-level entries, although you can
sometimes finesse the problem by issuing a CD command directly.

I've seen at least one commercial CD-ROM which was sent out with some
(undocumented) GIF pictures in a hidden subdirectory.  I wonder how many
corporate buyers of that CD-ROM realize that they've purchased some
graphic images which look like they came from Hustler or worse...

francis@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Francis Ho) (06/11/90)

In article <1990Jun10.184342.21882@caen.engin.umich.edu> jal@acc (John Lauro) writes:
>In article <6350.266e60ce@jetson.uh.edu> bchs1b@jetson.uh.edu writes:
>>Is there any way to change the attribute on a directory or subdirectory
>>so that it is hidden? I would like a subdirectory not to appear when
>>someone is casually looking at the disk, but if you CD to the subdirectory
>>then all the files will be visible.
>>
>The easiest way I know of is a pd program called chmod.com.  It's only
>about 6k long, and works well for files and directories.  This is a

>Sorry, I don't know a archive that has this.  (I know I seen it many places.)
>If you can't find it, mail me and I'll mail a uuencoded copy.
>
>   - John Lauro    john_lauro@ub.cc.umich.edu

it is available at simtel under the picnix package/arc files [unix like
commands for pc's]

-francis

$**********$****************$*************************************$**********$
* Francis Ivanos Ho  USnail | 531 West 113th St. NYC 10025	  *   \    / *
*____/\____*         bitnet | francis@cunixc.bitnet               *    [__]  *
*   /  \   *       internet | francis@cunixF.cc.columbia.edu      *  v \oo/  *
*  /<()>\  *           UUCP | ...!rutgers!columbia!cunixF!francis *   `/#/-c *
* /______\ * Columbia Center for Computing Activities (CUCCA)...  *  _/  \_  *
$**********$****************$************************************************$
--I just want to be me so I speak for myself.

infotech@rupert.misemi ( infotech) (06/12/90)

>>Is there any way to change the attribute on a directory or subdirectory
>>so that it is hidden? I would like a subdirectory not to appear when
>>someone is casually looking at the disk, but if you CD to the subdirectory
>>then all the files will be visible.

PC-TOOLS allows you to  change the attributes of a sub-dir... I try to avoid
using a FAT editor to do it as you can really $%#@ up a (hard) disk if you
change the wrong bit... I would think Norton Util. will let you do the same
thing, but I don't use that package...

Ross Bannerman              |  uunet!mitel!infotech
KANATA, Ont. Canada         | Insert standard legalese here....