[comp.sys.ibm.pc] What is the coolest game program that uses SVGA?

robertb@june.cs.washington.edu (Robert Bedichek) (06/11/90)

I've heard that Silicon Graphics has a very impressive flight
simulator that is popular at trade shows.  It runs on their
work station.  I am looking for a similar program that I can
run on my PC that will show off its graphics display (a 16" NEC
4D + a 1024x768 adapter in a Orchid 386-20).

The only game that I know of is Microsoft's Flight Simulator, but
I think it is written for the least common hardware, i.e. CGA and
a slow CPU.

Thanks for any help that you can lend,

	Rob Bedichek

brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Brian Hoffman) (06/12/90)

In article <12220@june.cs.washington.edu> robertb@june.cs.washington.edu (Robert Bedichek) writes:
>work station.  I am looking for a similar program that I can
>run on my PC that will show off its graphics display (a 16" NEC
>4D + a 1024x768 adapter in a Orchid 386-20).
>
>The only game that I know of is Microsoft's Flight Simulator, but
>I think it is written for the least common hardware, i.e. CGA and
>a slow CPU.
>
>	Rob Bedichek

The last two versions of Microsoft's Flight Simulater have supported high
res EGA.  The latest version, which has been out for over 8 months, also
supports the 386 processor.  You obviously haven't seen the program in the
last 2.5 years.

If F.S. is really the only PC game that you know of, you obviously need to
get out and enjoy the fresh air more often.  There are a multitude of games
available for the PC, including flight simulators, war, arcade, and strategy
games.  In the last 3 years, the PC game market has exploded with new
software, reminiscent of the old Apple II days.

Unfortunately, none of the current games support SVGA modes.  You CAN find
plenty of games that use 320x200x256, but higher resolutions are not currently
used.  You could get a paint program, such as Deluxe Paint II Enhanced that
will put your video card to the test.

|Brian Hoffman								|
|brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu						|
|Quote:	"A red sky at night may be a shepard's delight, but you're 	|

fordke@ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (06/13/90)

in article <12220@june.cs.washington.edu>, robertb@june.cs.washington.edu (Robert Bedichek) says:
> I am looking for a similar program that I can
> run on my PC that will show off its graphics display (a 16" NEC
> 4D + a 1024x768 adapter in a Orchid 386-20).

"Crime Wave" uses the 256 color mode.  It isn't SVGA, just vanilla VGA.
The game has some awsome music and digitized video animation.  Portions
look like a video.  The action game itself is generic arcade.  This is
a commercial ($$) product.

"Bananoid" is shareware or free, I'm not sure which.  It is 256 color
and uses a mouse.  It is a Break-Out style game, but the playing area
goes beyond the screen and you have to scroll the play window.  They
have a neat logo that displays in one corner where the color pallette
(sp?) is being sequenced.

"Bananoid" is available on my BBS if you're interested.  -kef/MM-