[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Windows 3.0 swap file note

JRD@cc.usu.edu (Joe Doupnik) (06/09/90)

	Has anyone else noticed that the large swap file created by Windows
3.0 installation is a (large) fraction of the contiguous free space on drive
C, but that it can be changed? I created a contiguous file on another drive,
named it the same as the original hidden swap file and deleted the original.
Windows continued to work. That also means one can create a swap file of
any desired size by manual means (programming, copy with concatenation,
subtrafuge with Norton's Utilities on an old unneeded file, etc).
	Joe D.

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (06/11/90)

A permanent swapfile can also be created by using the SWAPFILE.EXE
which comes with Windows 3.0.  It can create a SWAPFILE of any size you
desire.

This only works for Enhanced Mode.   Other modes create individual
swap files for each application which is created.

And temporary swap files which are created for Enhanced mode by
Windows will always be equal to 1/2 the available space on the
drive.

- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

newbie@inmet.UUCP (Chris Newbold) (06/12/90)

In article <25913@cc.usu.edu> JRD@cc.usu.edu (Joe Doupnik) writes:

>	Has anyone else noticed that the large swap file created by Windows
>3.0 installation is a (large) fraction of the contiguous free space on drive
>C, but that it can be changed? I created a contiguous file on another drive,
>named it the same as the original hidden swap file and deleted the original.
>Windows continued to work. That also means one can create a swap file of
>any desired size by manual means (programming, copy with concatenation,
>subtrafuge with Norton's Utilities on an old unneeded file, etc).
>	Joe D.

Windows 3.0 can use several different types of swap files.  Permanent ones,
which must be laid out on contiguous sectors and temporary ones.  The latter
type are created when you run Windows, and take up to half of the available
disk space.  Permanent ones are created with the "swapfile" utility, and
can be any size you choose.

For more information, try reading the chapter on enhancing Windows performance.
It is very well written, and shows you all the tricks to speed things up,
as well as describing the "swapfile" program.

--
   Intermetrics, Inc	|  	      "Don't mess with Mrs. Murphy!"         |
           Disclaimer: "All warranties expire upon payment of invoice."
newbie@inmet.UUCP * inmet!newbie@uunet.uu.net * ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

marc@metapyr.UUCP ( The Karate Kid ) (06/12/90)

In article <25913@cc.usu.edu> JRD@cc.usu.edu (Joe Doupnik) writes:

>	Has anyone else noticed that the large swap file created by Windows
>3.0 installation is a (large) fraction of the contiguous free space on drive
>C, but that it can be changed? I created a contiguous file on another drive,
>named it the same as the original hidden swap file and deleted the original.
>Windows continued to work. That also means one can create a swap file of
>any desired size by manual means (programming, copy with concatenation,
>subtrafuge with Norton's Utilities on an old unneeded file, etc).
>	Joe D.

Joe,
    Why not use the utility provided with Windows?  You can do all the
things you mention and not resort to subtrafuge.  Windows 3.0 has been
re-engineered to be very user friendly in most respects compared to its
predecessor.  I have been writing Windows apps for about two years now
and can understand the desire to use subtrafuge in making Windows fit the
round hole as it were, but they realy did a much better job this go round.

Just a sugesstion mind you, just a sugesstion.

"tired and shagged out from a prolonged squawk" - mpfc the parrot sketch

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (06/12/90)

1)  "subterfuge",  not  "subtrafuge"

2)  "suggestion",  not  "sugesstion"

allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) (06/13/90)

In article <25913@cc.usu.edu>, JRD@cc.usu.edu (Joe Doupnik) writes:

> 	Has anyone else noticed that the large swap file created by Windows
> 3.0 installation is a (large) fraction of the contiguous free space on drive
> C, but that it can be changed? I created a contiguous file on another drive,
> named it the same as the original hidden swap file and deleted the original.
> Windows continued to work. That also means one can create a swap file of
> any desired size by manual means (programming, copy with concatenation,
> subtrafuge with Norton's Utilities on an old unneeded file, etc).

Has any one tried to make a separate partition for just the swap file?
If you put it right after the C: partition the head wouldn't have to
move far to find it, and it never would get fragmented or possibly
damaged by other files.  This would of course require a complete
backup and new trip through FDISK, but I wonder if it wouldn't be
worth the trouble to isolate the swaping file.

--

	Kevin Allred
	allred@emx.cc.utexas.edu

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (06/13/90)

allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) writes:

>In article <25913@cc.usu.edu>, JRD@cc.usu.edu (Joe Doupnik) writes:
>>
>> 	Has anyone else noticed that the large swap file created by Windows
>> 3.0 installation is a (large) fraction of the contiguous free space on drive
>> C, but that it can be changed? I created a contiguous file on another drive,
>> named it the same as the original hidden swap file and deleted the original.
>> Windows continued to work. That also means one can create a swap file of
>> any desired size by manual means (programming, copy with concatenation,
>> subtrafuge with Norton's Utilities on an old unneeded file, etc).

You can create one as large as the largest contiguous block of free
space, but Windows will only use 16 MB.

>Has any one tried to make a separate partition for just the swap file?
>If you put it right after the C: partition the head wouldn't have to
>move far to find it, and it never would get fragmented or possibly
>damaged by other files.  This would of course require a complete
>backup and new trip through FDISK, but I wonder if it wouldn't be
>worth the trouble to isolate the swaping file.

Two points.  The swapfile never moves and will never get fragmented.
Also, if you get FASTTRAX, you can say where you want any files to be
physically located on the drive.  You can put it right next to the FAT.
With FASTTRAX, you won't need to reformat your disk and you'll get a
great disk optimizer to boot.  It is also a hidden, system file, so it
is unlikely to get messed with.

Oops.  I guess that was three things.  Well, I didn't expect the Spanish
Inquisition.  8-)

Now that I think about it, when the manual says don't move it, they may
mean don't move it physically in addition to putting it in a different
directory.  If that is the case, use FASTTRAX to create a large free
space at the beginning of the disk.  Then windows will select it for the
swapfile when you create it.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Engineer             VOICE: (303)231-1014

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (06/13/90)

In article <31502@ut-emx.UUCP> allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) writes:
|Has any one tried to make a separate partition for just the swap file?

In enhanced mode, the swap files are "hidden", DOS never touches them
and they don't suffer from fragmentation etc.
So this scheme would seem to offer no benefits.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil