[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hard Drive Woes

H40@psuvm.psu.edu (06/10/90)

Can someone out there give me a hand? I'm installing a 40 meg Miniscribe (MS845
0) hard drive into an XT Turbo, but I keep getting the message "Disk Error" dur
ing boot-up. The system never even activates the floppy before I get this messa
ge. I've checked the cables and am now playing around with jumpers (on a Wester
n Digital RLL controler). Am I missing something obvious? Thanks in advance for
 any desperately needed help.

In article <90160.185842H40@psuvm.psu.edu> H40@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

! I'm installing a 40 meg Miniscribe (MS845 0) hard drive into an XT
! Turbo, but I keep getting the message "Disk Error" dur ing boot-up. The
! system never even activates the floppy before I get this message.

  Since this answer might be useful to others, I'll post. When
installing a new controller of a diferent make than the previous, or
diferent format (RLL vs MFM), you will get a "disk error" because the
disk has not been low level formatted. Press F1 when prompted to
continue, and load debug from floppy to run the low level formatter.

  If the system never asks to continue or the message doesn't go away
after LL format, you have some other problem.

  Don't forget to read the section on drive types, WD1006 say set it to
type one.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

wargopl@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Peter L. Wargo) (06/10/90)

From article <90160.185842H40@psuvm.psu.edu>, by H40@psuvm.psu.edu:
> Can someone out there give me a hand? I'm installing a 40 meg Miniscribe (MS845
> 0) hard drive into an XT Turbo, but I keep getting the message "Disk Error" dur
> ing boot-up. The system never even activates the floppy before I get this messa
> ge. I've checked the cables and am now playing around with jumpers (on a Wester
> n Digital RLL controler). Am I missing something obvious? Thanks in advance for
>  any desperately needed help.

Did you try a low-level format?  use debug to go to C800 (g:C800)

Pete

p.s. fix your line length, I got funny wrap on my term.

--
Peter L. Wargo - wargopl@sun.soe.clarkson.edu, amoung others...
"I don't believe it - I just spent 4 years at an expensive university-

rarcher@anomaly.sbs.com (Robert Archer) (06/13/90)

In article <90160.185842H40@psuvm.psu.edu> H40@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>Can someone out there give me a hand? I'm installing a 40 meg Miniscribe (MS845
>0) hard drive into an XT Turbo, but I keep getting the message "Disk Error" dur
>ing boot-up. The system never even activates the floppy before I get this messa
>ge. I've checked the cables and am now playing around with jumpers (on a Wester
>n Digital RLL controler). Am I missing something obvious? Thanks in advance for
> any desperately needed help.

Does the machine boot if you put a system disk in A:?
BOb

--
"What does God need with a Starship?"
...!uunet!rayssd!anomaly!rarcher