[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WordPerfect file format

mcgillis@sol.SPS.TRW.COM (Jack McGillis) (10/21/87)

We are trying to find out what a "Word Perfect" file looks like.  If
anyone knows or knows of a book describing this I would appreciate
hearing about it.  I have called WP about this, they gave me an
address to write to which I will be doing shortly.

		Thank you in advance

--
   Jack McGillis
	...!trwrb!trwspp!spp2!mcgillis

shor@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Melinda Shore) (10/22/87)

In article <269@fomalhaut.sol.SPS.TRW.COM> mcgillis@sol.UUCP () writes:

>We are trying to find out what a "Word Perfect" file looks like.  [...]
>I have called WP about this, they gave me an
>address to write to which I will be doing shortly.

This is the only legal way to do it.  WordPerfect Corp. will have you
sign a non-disclosure agreement, in return for which you'll get 5 or 6
photocopied pages.
--
Melinda Shore                                   ..!hao!oddjob!sphinx!shor
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center                     shore@morgul.psc.edu

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (10/22/87)

Wordperfect uses a very simple file structure.  Plain ASCII
with specific codes added to turn on and off the features.
If you need to check it out before buying a book etc, try making
a document with one sentence per feature and then inspect it
with Norton utilities.

ksb@cscadm.ncsu.edu (Kelvin S. Bryant) (06/12/90)

I may need to convert some of my WordPerfect (5.0) files into
LaTex format.  Can anyone give me leads on where I can find
documentation on the internal structure of WordPerfect files?

Thanks in advance,

ksb.

pel@kls.UUCP (Paul Leclerc) (06/13/90)

In article <1990Jun12.130819.4888@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> ksb@cscadm.ncsu.edu (Kelvin S. Bryant) writes:

>I may need to convert some of my WordPerfect (5.0) files into
>LaTex format.  Can anyone give me leads on where I can find
>documentation on the internal structure of WordPerfect files?
>Thanks in advance,
>ksb.

Call the WordPerfect orderline and ask for the Developer's Toolkit.
Make sure and ask for the 5.0 PC version.  This document quite
explicitly maps out all files that WP generates and uses.
The cost is around $45.  The books on file formats found in most
bookstores don't have the latest on WP 5.0 (only 4.2)

I don't have their number handy.  Try 1-800 information.