[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ALL CHARGECARD

beckman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (05/31/88)

There is a new prduct from the makers of DESQVIEW that is supposed to
solve all of the MS-DOS -- IBM memory kludges and problem.  I have
read the advertisement pamplet, and the product, called ALL
CHARGECARD, connects to your 80286 CPU and is a complete memory
manager, and even lets you run '386 stuff.  It claims that no matter
what memory or combination of memory you have, LIM, EMS, EEMS,
extended, expanded, whatever, it will let you use every last byte of
it, and even extend DOS to > than 900K.  Does anyone have any
experience or comments about this product?  It is about $200, and will
then allow DESQVIEW to run all types of programs, with all memory
configurations.  You then buy only the cheapest memory in the future
(extended) and it will let it be used as EMS or EEMS or EEEMS for your
applications.  Sounds neat. I have an AT with 512K/512K and am sick
of the backwards ways of trying to use the 512K extended memory. Is it
a good investment?   -Pete

wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) (06/01/88)

In article <36300022@iuvax> beckman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu writes:
>There is a new prduct from the makers of DESQVIEW that is supposed to
>solve all of the MS-DOS -- IBM memory kludges and problem.  I have
>read the advertisement pamplet, and the product, called ALL
>CHARGECARD, connects to your 80286 CPU and is a complete memory
>manager, and even lets you run '386 stuff.  It claims that no matter

This would imply that a '386 is nothing more than a faster '286 with
a memory manager added on. Is that really true? Hard to believe!

Is there someone out there who can authoritatively comment on this
particular question?

If this were true I could go out and buy the $99 386 UNIX from Bell Tech
and run it on my AT clone with an "ALL CHARGECARD" -- that would be
too good to be true!
UUCP:  ihnp4!killer!dcs!wnp                    ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN: wnp@dcs.UUCP                           TLX: 910-280-0585 EES PLANO UD

gustwick@juniper.UUCP (Bob Gustwick) (06/01/88)

In article <36300022@iuvax> beckman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu writes:
>...called ALL
>CHARGECARD, connects to your 80286 CPU and is a complete memory
>manager, and even lets you run '386 stuff.
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
nope, that's not the impression i got, but i can't find my copy of the
ad either...  my understanding was that the CHARGECARD was ONLY a
memory manager...  it should help DESQview performance/hardware problems
greatly, but thats about it...  there is no 386 on the card, so 386
instructions won't work.  the memory management is not 386 memory manangement,
but follows the LIM EMS 4.0 (AQA EEMS) specs.

...bob

gas@ecsvax.UUCP (Guerry A. Semones) (06/02/88)

In article <4249@killer.UUCP>, wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) writes:
> In article <36300022@iuvax> beckman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu writes:
> >There is a new prduct from the makers of DESQVIEW that is supposed to
> >solve all of the MS-DOS -- IBM memory kludges and problem.  I have
> >read the advertisement pamplet, and the product, called ALL
> >CHARGECARD, connects to your 80286 CPU and is a complete memory
> >manager, and even lets you run '386 stuff.  It claims that no matter
>
> This would imply that a '386 is nothing more than a faster '286 with
> a memory manager added on. Is that really true? Hard to believe!
>
> Is there someone out there who can authoritatively comment on this
> particular question?
>
> If this were true I could go out and buy the $99 386 UNIX from Bell Tech
> and run it on my AT clone with an "ALL CHARGECARD" -- that would be
> too good to be true!

The ALL ChargeCard does not claim to allow a '286 to run '386 based
software.  In the 5-7 pages of pamphlets and stuff I have on the
product, it never mentions the '386 at all.
     Think of the ALL card as a memory manager for the '286 that does
the following:
  1. Allows you to expand the available memory for DOS from 640k to
     a max of 960k.  According to the specs, this 960k area is fully
     accessible to all DOS programs as if they were running in 640k.
     This in and of itself might justify buying the card.
  2. The ALL card also "unifies" all On-system memory.  Desqview LOVES
     to have plenty of Expanded memory available, but some of us only
     have EXTENDED memory.  The ALL card will take all available memory
     (base, extended, and expanded) and make it into EMS and EEMS
     memory specs.  That would allow some of us to get more out of out
     our extended memory than ramdisks and disk caches.

Note that the ALL ChargeCard is NOT made by DESQVIEW, but by the
following:
            ALL Computers Inc.
            21 St Clair Ave. E., STE. 203
            Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4T 1L9
            (416) 960-0111

The price of the card runs from $300 to $500 depending on your system's
type of '286 processor.  Those '286 chips not of the pin grid array
type need a special cable adapter.
     The card does not require a slot but is a credit card sized wafer
that is mounted between the mother board and the '286 chip itself.
There are a couple of software drivers that must be installed in your
config.sys to get access to the card's powers.
     There appears to be an 8088 based version of the card but I'm not
familiar with it.
     Before anyone flames me for incorrect information, please note that
I DO NOT OWN this product, have NEVER seen it in person, but have been
looking over the specs and have info about it only by pamphlets sent
to me by ALL Computers.

Desqview IS recommending this product and for all I know, have stock in
the company named above.

Anyone else?
--
 Guerry A. Semones                 BITNET: drogo@tucc.BITNET
 Information Services              USENET: gas@ecsvax.UUCP

gas@ecsvax.UUCP (Guerry A. Semones) (06/02/88)

I just talked to a friend whose company has informally tested the
ALL ChargeCard.  With EMS and Ansi drivers installed, etc., it leaves
about 850k of RAM for DOS (instead of 640k).

He also indicated that in THEORY you can run '386 software (ie Windows
386) on your '286 with this card.  He said PC-MOS definately works, and
I assume he meant PC-MOS 386.  So maybe I was wrong, but I'll only
believe it when I see it.

This may be made MOOT if Intel would finally begin providing the
fabled P9 chip that is said to be a 16-bit version of the 80386 chip.
Its been said that with a wafer-board to make it pin compatible with
the '286 chip's pins, that it can be a drop-in replacement for the
80286.  How about that?  Your old AT with a 16-bit '386, I could live
with that.
--
 Guerry A. Semones                 BITNET: drogo@tucc.BITNET
 Information Services              USENET: gas@ecsvax.UUCP
 Duke University                   My views are despairingly mine only.
 Talent Identification Program     "We ain't gifted, we just work here."

troeger@ttidca.TTI.COM (Jeff Troeger) (01/07/89)

Does anyone know where in the United States I can find a company that sells
the All Chargecard from All Computers? My last resort is to order it directly
from All Computers, but I would rather exhaust any distributor leads first
(if there are any..)
		Thanks in Advance..

--
Jeff Troeger @ Citicorp(+)TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.   (213) 450-9111, ext. 3153

djb@wjh12.harvard.edu (David J. Birnbaum) (08/19/89)

Has anyone had any experience with the All ChargeCard by All Computer?
This is a card that is plugged in between a 286 and its motherboard socket
that is supposed to provide memory management capabilities similar to a
386.  It is also supposed to provide a superior environment for multi-
tasking with Desqview.  Is anyone using it?  How well does it work?  Any
incompatibilities?  Etc.

Please reply by MAIL, not by posting.  I will post a summary in about two
weeks.

--David
djb@wjh12.harvard.edu [Internet]
djb@wjh12.uucp [UUCP]
djb@harvunxw.bitnet [Bitnet]

spengler@lance.tis.llnl.gov (Tom Spengler) (06/14/90)

Who has experience with the ALL CHARGECARD from ALL Computers of Toronto?

From an ad which caught my eye, this is apparently an EMS board (list price:
$299) which has additional memory management capabilities.  The ad says,
"You won't have to disable system board memory to multitask Windows or
DESQview under EMS 4.0!"  There is a diagram which shows what conventional
memory things it can move around, and shows WordPerfect, 1-2-3, etc, running
in high EMS.

Things the ad doesn't say, but I would like to know are:

	-- how well does it work with DESQview?  Windows 3.0?
	-- how much RAM is it populated with in the base version?
	-- how much RAM can it be populated with?
	-- what type RAM? (DIPs, SIPs, SIMMs)
	-- can one use it independently of DV or Win 3.0?

Thanks,		Tom Spengler -- spengler@tis.llnl.gov
				...!uunet!tis.llnl.gov!spengler