[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC BRAND 20 MHZ 386 Machines

fish@gemed.com (Mark Fisher) (06/07/90)

I bought a 20Mhz 386 machine from them back in March.  I sent it back.
It is now June and my charge card still shows a $25.00 dollar balance
from them.  My experience with them was a nightmare.  They sent the
machine without a hard disk and sent a NEC 2a instead of the 3d I
ordered.  Getting this straighten out took somewhere between 20 and
30 phone calls.  Most of those calls were spent not getting through to
who I wanted to talk to.  They don't return calls.  My experience has
been to take what they say they with a grain of salt until it actually
gets done.  As the man from Missouri said - you got to show me first.

As far as the machine goes.  I never got the opportunity to power it
up since no hard disk came with it.  I did take the case off and look
inside.  The SIM memory boards were located such that they blocked
putting 3/4 or full length boards in most of the slots.  The BIOS
chips were not fully seated in the sockets.  And the case was flimsy
and warped a little bit so that it made it really hard to take on and
off.

I ended up buying mine from Gateway 2000 and I am very happy.  The
price from Gateway is about the same and the quality and support are
orders of magnitude better.

You might get lucky with PC Brand.  I was not lucky.  I don't really
mean to rain on thier parade, but I sure feel like it was a rip off.
--
// Mark M. Fisher
// fish@gemed.ge.com

elh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ed_Han) (06/11/90)

In article <FISH.90Jun7102720@his.gemed.com> fish@gemed.ge.com (Mark Fisher  x4-6553) writes:
>I bought a 20Mhz 386 machine from them back in March.  I sent it back.
>It is now June and my charge card still shows a $25.00 dollar balance
>from them.  My experience with them was a nightmare.  They sent the
>machine without a hard disk and sent a NEC 2a instead of the 3d I
>ordered.  Getting this straighten out took somewhere between 20 and
>30 phone calls.  Most of those calls were spent not getting through to
>who I wanted to talk to.  They don't return calls.  My experience has
>been to take what they say they with a grain of salt until it actually
>gets done.  As the man from Missouri said - you got to show me first.

I have a nightmare with PC Brand too. They have a tech. guy called Karl
never remembered the service he promised me, even outragely told me
"You are let down if you send the machine back -- because ...",
Well, it was the third time I have to pay for shipping and they still have
my PC. What else could I do with the machine beside sending it back?
Junk it? It's still under their one year warranty.

>You might get lucky with PC Brand.  I was not lucky.  I don't really
>mean to rain on thier parade, but I sure feel like it was a rip off.

ditto for me.

Ed_Han@ub.cc.umich.edu

rschmidt@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (06/14/90)

In article <1990Jun10.175505.21209@caen.engin.umich.edu> elh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ed_Han) writes:
>In article <FISH.90Jun7102720@his.gemed.com> fish@gemed.ge.com (Mark Fisher  x4-6553) writes:
>>I bought a 20Mhz 386 machine from them back in March.  I sent it back.
>I have a nightmare with PC Brand too.
>>I sure feel like it was a rip off.
>ditto for me.
>>// Mark M. Fisher
>Ed_Han@ub.cc.umich.edu

Now, maybe we shouldn't hit a dealer when he's down, but maybe we can
save someone else the *pain* of buying PC Brand.  I bought a 20 MHz 386
from them over a year ago.  I still have it, but...

Soon after receiving the machine, I obtained a hard disk from another
source, and popped the top to install it.  Shock! Gasp!  There was a
386-16 chip on the motherboard!  There were 100 Nano DRAM chips!
Further, the pages in the TRUMP motherboard manual about compatible
memory had been ripped out.

I called PC Brand.  "Oh, well, the 386-16 is running at 20 MHZ, and
that's OK, it can do it, we tested it.  Look at the ad again, we didn't
say 386-20, we said 386 _running at_ 20 MHz!"  What about the ad saying
zero wait states?  Isn't 100 Nanos a little slow for that?  "Well, you
have to put in more memory and install interleave, then it will run at
zero wait states.  Check your manual."  I tried, the pages are ripped
out.  "Well, those pages weren't important."  _I_ think they are!  "Then
we'll send you another manual, and you can see for yourself!"  (Of
course, I _never_ got a new manual, despite repeated calls to geeks that
didn't even know what motherboard they were using!)

I also discovered that the cables they use are inferior.  I have had two
of them fail -- that is, the edge connector socket slowly loses its grip
on the card edges of drives, requiring disassembly of the computer,
jiggling (or replacement) of the cable, and a reboot to continue.

Hey, but why complain?  It was cheap, right?  Then how come Gateway and
others are cheaper???

I guess we're all in the same ol' ripped-off club.  You guys out there
in netland, CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!
Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>           | |
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts,        | |
Graduate School of Business |     and you can't have them,      <   >
Bloomington                 |     so there! */                    X