[comp.sys.ibm.pc] free advertising

djo7613@hardy.u.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) (06/06/90)

In article <Doq0J1w162w@cattie.UUCP> marks@cattie.UUCP writes:
>m1tdg00@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov (Taegan D. Goddard) writes:
>

>> The following is taken from PC-Hands On magazine:
>>[an add for some constitution program]
>
>Why in the world is this posted?  The USENET is not a free advertizing
>medium!
>-----
>Mark Schaffer     ...!uunet!cbmvax!hutch!cattie!marks
>                  16448591@vuvaxcom.BITNET

I agree wholeheartedly, Mark.

Others who might disagree include the DOZENS of people who have been
posting systems, parts and software FOR SALE in this group during the
last few months.

What is this, Burger King?

"Moby" Dick O'Connor                          ** The only difference between
Washington Department of Fisheries            ** a lazy man on a riverbank
Olympia, Washington  98504                    ** and a fisherman is a pole
Internet Mail: djo7613@hardy.u.washington.edu ** and a length of string.

a177@mindlink.UUCP (Tony Bearman) (06/07/90)

> m1tdg00@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <M1TDG00.90Jun7091112@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov>
>
> Org.  : Federal Reserve Board
> Person: Taegan D. Goddard
>

> ]   >>
> ]   >> The following is taken from PC-Hands On magazine:
> ]   >>[an add for some constitution program]
> ]   >
> ]   >Why in the world is this posted?  The USENET is not a free advertizing
> ]   >medium!
> ]   >-----
> ]   >Mark Schaffer     ...!uunet!cbmvax!hutch!cattie!marks
> ]   >                  16448591@vuvaxcom.BITNET
> ]
> ]
> ]   I agree wholeheartedly, Mark.
> ]
> ]   Others who might disagree include the DOZENS of people who have been
> ]   posting systems, parts and software FOR SALE in this group during the
> ]   last few months.
> ]
> ]   What is this, Burger King?
> ]
>
> No, this is America.  Everyone has a right to free speech in this country.
>
> Maybe you should learn about the Bill of Rights.  You don't have to read
> something if you don't want to, but please don't try to censor others.
>
> ...and this is Canada, Sir. And the next person to read this may be in
> Australia...or Switzerland...or...
>
> Your informative posting on the features and merits of the Liberty! programme
> (or whatever it was) should not really be the issue here, and I believe you
> may have been overly sensitive and missed a valid point.
>
> This is an *international* news conference, and it has established guidelines
> for discussion and postings.
>
> "Item for sale" is not among the topics. (Is there a moderator in the house?)
>
> If Joe Bloggs from Sacramento wants to sell his PC XT, I doubt that anyone in
> Austria, Canada, or for that matter, New York, is a likely target for the
> pitch. And we're *all* paying long distance and connect time for the
> bandwidth.
>
> 'Nuff said.
>
> Tony.

m1tdg00@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov (Taegan D. Goddard) (06/07/90)

]   >>

wg@cbnewsm.att.com (Bill Gieske) (06/08/90)

In article <M1TDG00.90Jun7091112@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov>, m1tdg00@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov (Taegan D. Goddard) writes:
> No, this is America.  Everyone has a right to free speech in this country.
>
> Maybe you should learn about the Bill of Rights.  You don't have to read
> something if you don't want to, but please don't try to censor others.

Maybe YOU should learn enough about USENET to know that articles for sale
belong in misc.forsale, NOT here.  That bit of orderliness spares readers
of this group from the advertisements.

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (06/09/90)

In article <M1TDG00.90Jun7091112@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov> m1tdg00@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov (Taegan D. Goddard) writes:
> [...]
>]   >Why in the world is this posted?  The USENET is not a free advertizing
>]   >medium!
>]
>]   Others who might disagree include the DOZENS of people who have been
>]   posting systems, parts and software FOR SALE in this group during the
>]   last few months.
>]
>]   What is this, Burger King?
>No, this is America.  Everyone has a right to free speech in this country.

And of course if it happens outside of the U.S. it doesn't count?

>Maybe you should learn about the Bill of Rights.  You don't have to read
>something if you don't want to, but please don't try to censor others.

OK, all together now:
    "USENET IS NOT FREE!!!!"

Maybe you should learn something about Usenet.  It is a collection of
individual machines working together in a voluntary anarchy.  There are
guidelines that have no force of law but are nonetheless adhered to in
the main.  Without the voluntary adherence to those guidelines, Usenet
would cease to exist.  One of those guidelines is no commercial postings
in the mainline groups.  (There is a biz hierarchy for that.)  The reason
for this guideline is quite simple.  Many commercial sites are paying the
costs of picking up and passing on this stuff.  It is manifestly unfair
to make these sites pay for advertising for others who may even be their
competitors.  This is not to say that companies cannot engage in dialogue
on the net or answer questions about their product but gratuitous pitches
about their particular brand of snake oil is unacceptable.

If you don't like the guidelines imposed on you by Usenet then please feel
free to remove your site from it.  *That* is what free means.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Government:
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   Organized crime with an attitude

s900657@minyos.xx.rmit.oz (Felicity Jones [IceBreaker]) (06/09/90)

In article <2026@mindlink.UUCP>, a177@mindlink.UUCP (Tony Bearman) writes:
> > m1tdg00@fsrcs1.fed.frb.gov writes:

       [stuff deleted for brevity's sake]

> > ]   >> The following is taken from PC-Hands On magazine:
> > ]   >>[an add for some constitution program]
> > ]   >
> > ]   >Why in the world is this posted?  The USENET is not a free advertizing
> > ]   >medium!
> > ]   >-----

	 [lots of lines deleted because you've all read them before]

> > ...and this is Canada, Sir. And the next person to read this may be in
> > Australia...or Switzerland...or...

Like me :-)

> > This is an *international* news conference, and it has established
> > guidelines for discussion and postings.
> >
> > "Item for sale" is not among the topics.
> >      (Is there a moderator in the house?)

I must admit that wading through all the advertisements has been rather
tiresome of late.   Surely you have a us.forsale or whatever for these things?
Our equivalent is aus.forsale and it's quite handy for advertising items
for sale.  I doubt the best bargain in the world would be worth the
freight costs between cities in the US, let alone across the world.
As for the constitutional program, I'm afraid it holds no interest for me....

Ice

{The opinions expressed above are my own and bear
no relation to RMIT's views on the subject.}

jmann@bigbootay.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) (06/12/90)

In article <1990Jun8.140613.28866@cbnewsm.att.com>, wg@cbnewsm.att.com (Bill Gieske) writes:
> Maybe YOU should learn enough about USENET to know that articles for sale
> belong in misc.forsale, NOT here.  That bit of orderliness spares readers
> of this group from the advertisements.

But that is NOT what the original poster posted. He posted a review of
a software product, in this case the Constitution in a hyper-text setup of
sorts.  He then got flamed for "advertizing."  How was his original
review any different from the "I just tried Windows 3.0 and it's really
great and does XYZ" posts we've been seeing over the last few days. Both
are legit.

I agree with you, by the way, on the folks who are constantly selling
things.  I also am tired of "I have an XT for sale for only $1100" ads.

Jim

ccastje@prism.gatech.EDU (John Adair) (06/15/90)

I hate to clutter up this group with this, but I feel it needs
to be said.

If someone asks "hey, where can I get software that does xxxxxx",
and someone mails them a copy of an ad that they saw in PC mag,
great.  If they post it, it's a pain, because it really should have
been mailed.  If a couple of people ask for it, let them post it.
As long as it is an answer to a question, it shouldn't matter.

John Adair   :  ccastje%prism@gatech.edu : ccastje%prism.gatech.edu.BITNET
uucp:         ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ccastje
Georgia Tech Box 30812, Atlanta, GA 30332                      Disclaimer:
I speak only for myself, and in no way, shape or form reflect the views or
opinions of my employer  (The Office of Computing Services, Georgia Tech).