[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Dr. Dobbs Multitasking Kernal -- HELP!

papp@topaz.rutgers.edu (Albert Papp) (06/14/90)

In Dr. Dobb's Journal, December 1987 and January 1988, the C Toolbox
had code for a preemptive multitasking kernal for the IBM PC.  I am
trying to use this code now, but I cannot get it to compile.  There is
no mention as to what compiler the author used, although the code uses
something odd that might be specific for one compiler(?)

main(\sc128\)

I never saw "\sc128\" inside of main!!

Also, there is an include file named "tools/pq.h"  I don't know what
compiler uses this but it isn't turbo or microsoft!

If anyone has implemented this kernal on the ibm, or has ported the
code to turbo C, (and assembler) or has any info on the source code to
something similar (a multitasking kernal) please e-Mail me!

Thanks!

Al        papp@topaz.rutgers.edu

tom@cci632.UUCP (Thomas Bullinger) (06/15/90)

In article <Jun.13.20.15.53.1990.851@topaz.rutgers.edu> papp@topaz.rutgers.edu (Albert Papp) writes:

>In Dr. Dobb's Journal, December 1987 and January 1988, the C Toolbox
>had code for a preemptive multitasking kernal for the IBM PC.  I am
[stuff deleted]
>code to turbo C, (and assembler) or has any info on the source code to
>something similar (a multitasking kernal) please e-Mail me!
>
>Thanks!
>
>Al        papp@topaz.rutgers.edu

A couple of years back, I wrote a pre-emptive multi-tasking kernel for
Turbo-C. The kernel itself is written in Turbo-Assembler, and all the
interface routines are in Turbo-C. It's even documented! The scheduler
is based on the DOS timer interrupt and is currently somewhat simplistic.
Twist my arm a little, maybe I can soup it up for your needs! ;-)) As
with any DOS scheduler, there are some limitations due to the non-
reentrant nature of DOS. Let me know if you'd like more info, or a copy
of the docs.

   tom..

      ..!cci632!rd7!tom     -or-    tom%rd7@cci632

"Only he who is willing to give up his monopoly on truth can ever profit
 from the truths that others hold...no man has the final answer but
 every man has a piece to contribute."	 --Unknown (to me anyway)

david@metapyr.UUCP (David Relson) (06/15/90)

When the DDJ Multitasking Kernel first came out (Dec '87) I spent some time with it and got it up and running.  In the process I found several bugs in the code whose presence I confirmed in conversations with Ken Berry, the kernel's author.  The code has been updated since the original publication and is now available through M & T Publishing (DDJ's publisher).  I suggest that you spend the $$$'s and get that version.