[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Where to post "for sale" stuff

newbie@inmet.UUCP (Chris Newbold) (06/12/90)

In article <QaQwa9600W0WM7k1I=@andrew.cmu.edu> mp2k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Palmquist) writes:
>Jaap Verhage Writes:  This, indeed, I find ridiculous. In Holland, I am
>*not*
>interested in somebody selling a disk or whatever in the US of
>A. As I saw in the header of this posting, something like
>`misc.forsale.computers' exists. Shall we please restrict
>ourselves to that forum for messages like this?
>******
>
>I agree.  I remember voting not long ago on a new subgroup for items
>people wished to sell.  I can't remember when the end of the voting
>period was.  Perhaps the folks conducting the vote could post and let us
>know when (or if) such a board will come to be.  I wouldn't mind having
>a place to look when I'm interested in hardware, but I don't think it
>should be this group.

Ah.  Isn't this what the "distribution" field is for?  Rather than leaving
it blank (i.e. "whole world"), you could enter "usa" to restrict the message
to the United States.  There are several distribution "zones", though I don't
know of them off-hand.

(line fodder...)

--
   Intermetrics, Inc	|  	      "Don't mess with Mrs. Murphy!"         |
           Disclaimer: "All warranties expire upon payment of invoice."
newbie@inmet.UUCP * inmet!newbie@uunet.uu.net * ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (06/15/90)

In article <456@inmet.UUCP> newbie@inmet.UUCP (Chris Newbold) writes:
>In article <QaQwa9600W0WM7k1I=@andrew.cmu.edu> mp2k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Palmquist) writes:
>> [...]
>>know when (or if) such a board will come to be.  I wouldn't mind having
>>a place to look when I'm interested in hardware, but I don't think it
>>should be this group.
>Ah.  Isn't this what the "distribution" field is for?  Rather than leaving
>it blank (i.e. "whole world"), you could enter "usa" to restrict the message

No it isn't.  The distribution field is designed to keep articles of local
interest local.  If you have something for sale it belongs in another group.
The question of distribution then comes up in that other group.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Government:
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   Organized crime with an attitude