[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Zenith TurboSPORT 386 info needed

lchen@cs.ubc.ca (Lee Li-Jen Chen) (06/15/90)

Hi: Recently I read an ad in BYTE (June p.343) about a final
    clearance sell on Zenith TurboSPORT 386 for $2,795.
The system includes:
	80386 32-bit CPU with 12/6 MHz
	2MB RAM (0-wait state)
	640x400 Backlit LCD Display
	3.5" 1.44 Floppy
	40MB 28ms Hard Disk
	2400 Baud Modem
	Battery & Adapter/Charger
	MS-DOS 3.3
	Speed-Land Mark Test- 16.9 MHz
	1 yr Full Warranty from Zenith

Is it a good deal? Is Craftsman Electronic, Inc. a reputable
mail order firm? Why a machine retailed for $8,499, now sell
for less than 30% of its worth? Are there some flaws in the machine?

Would someone who either has experience with the machine or the
mail order company please give me some advices. Thank you in advance.

Lee Chen 1990 06 15

russ@prism.gatech.EDU (Russell Shackelford) (06/15/90)

In article <8289@ubc-cs.UUCP>, lchen@cs.ubc.ca (Lee Li-Jen Chen) writes:
> Hi: Recently I read an ad in BYTE (June p.343) about a final
>     clearance sell on Zenith TurboSPORT 386 for $2,795.
> The system includes:
> 	80386 32-bit CPU with 12/6 MHz
> 	2MB RAM (0-wait state)
> 	640x400 Backlit LCD Display
> 	3.5" 1.44 Floppy
> 	40MB 28ms Hard Disk
> 	2400 Baud Modem
> 	Battery & Adapter/Charger
> 	MS-DOS 3.3
> 	Speed-Land Mark Test- 16.9 MHz
> 	1 yr Full Warranty from Zenith
>
> Is it a good deal? Is Craftsman Electronic, Inc. a reputable
> mail order firm? Why a machine retailed for $8,499, now sell
> for less than 30% of its worth? Are there some flaws in the machine?

Good machine, but with it's problems.....

full 386, not 386sx..... but SLOW (norton of less than 15, I think).

Good screen, but sort-CGA.... CGA but some sort of double-scan scheme,
i.e. screen does 640 x 400, but this is 640 x 200 twice.... upgrade
situaion to make this VGA is unclear.....

comes with 2mb, but max onboard is 3 mb.....

detachable, i.e., MOVABLE WITHOUT MOVING EVERYTHING, keyboard, but
with zenith'g goofy Fn key to get triple duty out of certain keys when
the package is already big and heavy enough to be able handle
a marginally bigger keyboard....

a small lug-able, NOT a laptap.....

I got one, I like it, it does what *I* want it for....

If it suits you, this is an opportunity to take advantage from
liquidation prices....

russ

--
Russell Shackelford