[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Iomega Bernoulli drive and Win3.0?

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (06/16/90)

In a recent article gt0159a@prism.gatech.EDU (LEVINSON,MARC LOUIS) writes:
>I have several Iomega Bernoulli disk drives on which I will be installing
>Win3.0.  I run Iomega's RCD utility ver 4.47.  [...]
>
>What will Win3.0 see in the system setup, and will it crash with the device
>driver?

In the for-what-it's-worth department, I've had no problems using Windows 3.0
in an environment with the 20 MB Bernoulli drives (5-1/4" type) that I can
trace to the Bernoulli interface.  The IOMEGA SCSI driver is in place, but
since the disks are smaller than the magic 32 MB size, there's no special
driver for the drive layout - just for the drive hardware interface.

On the other hand, I've not yet been able to install the EMM386 LIM driver.
It crashes the machine hard (i.e., Big Red Switch Time) soon after the
system is booted.  Sometimes during AUTOEXEC processing (if you're lucky),
sometimes soon thereafter (when you're in your first command).  I never was
able to get the system up long enough to start Windows itself before the crash
occurred, so it's an interaction with something else, and that "something
else" may turn out to be the IOMEGA driver.  Since the last time it bombed
it took my FAT1 with it (the system locked while KEDIT was writing a file)
I haven't wanted to work on it until I had a lot of time to spare.