[comp.sys.ibm.pc] AT clone from CompuAdd

andyc@sunra.Eng.Sun.COM (Andy Charnas) (06/16/90)

My father-in-law, who knows very little about pc's, is interested
in buying a PC clone ( no I couldn't convince him to buy a
SparcStation :-) ), and has found a vendor called CompuAdd.
They have a reasonable price ($2000 for 12Mhz 286, 512Meg m.m., 40Meg
hard disc, CVGA 14" monitor + Panasonic Kx-P1180 printer + CompuAdd
MS-DOS v4.01, GW-Basic, Spinnaker 8in1 software.)

My question is:  has anyone out there heard of CompuAdd? Is this a
reputable vendor?  They claim a 1 year warrenty and free tech support
hotline, but that won't be of much good if they fold next week.

I believe they are located in southern Florida, since that is where
my father-in-law lives.

Andy Charnas
Sun Microsystems
Mountain View, CA
ARPA: andyc@sun.com
UUCP: {seismo,oliveb,decwrl,hplabs}!sun!andyc

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (06/17/90)

In article <372@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> andyc@sunra.Eng.Sun.COM (Andy Charnas) writes:
>My father-in-law, who knows very little about pc's, is interested
>in buying a PC clone ( no I couldn't convince him to buy a
>SparcStation :-) ), and has found a vendor called CompuAdd.
>They have a reasonable price ($2000 for 12Mhz 286, 512Meg m.m., 40Meg
>hard disc, CVGA 14" monitor + Panasonic Kx-P1180 printer + CompuAdd
>MS-DOS v4.01, GW-Basic, Spinnaker 8in1 software.)
>
>My question is:  has anyone out there heard of CompuAdd? Is this a
>reputable vendor?  They claim a 1 year warrenty and free tech support
>hotline, but that won't be of much good if they fold next week.
>
>I believe they are located in southern Florida, since that is where
>my father-in-law lives.

I always like to buy from a local place, that way you can go back there if a
problem arises. Also I note that you are in the Bay Area. I was just a the
Price Club (San Jose) and they have several complete systems on sale. One was
a 386SX with 40Mb hard disk, 1Mb memory, and VGA graphics (monitor included)
for $1999. If you have access, or know someone who does, this might be something
to check out.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254