[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Modem recmondations??????????????

6600hhl@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Why do you want to know??????) (06/14/90)

Whats a good 2400 baud external modem for the PS/2 and how  much
and where can I order one.

Price range <up to 200>

                                             Hanh Luong

TIM@ENH.Prime.COM (06/14/90)

Go buy an issue of "Computer Shopper" - seriously. That's where most of the
best buys are. I have a friend who got a 2400 Hayes-comp. internal modem for
his 286 for $79.! External for the PC is usually (rather, I wouldn't pay more
than) $125-135. Can't be much diff. (if any) for the PS/2.

#include "stddisclaimer.h"

/*
Tim Cantin, Prime Computer, Inc. -- (508) 879-2960, ext. 3101
Mailstop 10-13, 500 Old Conn Path, Framingham, MA 01701 (USA)
(TIM@ENH.Prime.COM), (csnet-relay!ENH.Prime.COM!TIM), (uunet!ENH.Prime.COM!TIM)
*/

woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) (06/17/90)

In article <1990Jun16.213349.20056@athena.mit.edu>, dcling@athena.mit.edu (Douglas C Ling) writes:
> Sorry, Tom, the cheapest internal 2400 Baud modem is from J&R Computer,
> NYC. (One
> can find their ad on the back page of the Science Section of NY Times
> every Tuesday(?). It sells for $69.

Never say cheapest (unless referring to quality). Sabina has an ad for
a $65 internal 2400 baud modem in Computer Shopper. Prices just keep
coming down and Computer Shopper is a good place to look.

> External modems, same for PS/2 or AT: just Rs-232 serial, usually cost
> $10 more.

That's about right. Externals have the added expense of bigger transformers
and cases...

						Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan                                     woan@peyote.cactus.org +
+ If nothing else works                              woan@soda.berkeley.edu +