[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Interrupt 14h and COM1: question

brodie@fps.mcw.edu (06/15/90)

OK, this may be a weird question, but here goes......

I am using a NOVELL network, and wish to use the "TES" terminal
emulation service (part of the VAX network hookup that novell has..)

"TES" uses any references to INT 14h and redirects them not to
the standard serial line, but to the network port.  In this light,
and terminal emulation programs (such as KERMIT) that support the
bios/int ports work great.

Now, here's my question.  We have some terminal emulation stuff
that we HAVE to use (reason is too gross) , but these programs only
support the STANDARD com1/com2 ports, and not the bios ports.

Is there any way (via someone's driver or something) that I can
RE-DIRECT references to the STANDARD comx: ports to INT14H ?

Here's what I have now:

TERMINAL EMULATION  ---> COM1:  ---> system     old setup

Kermit              ---> Int14H ---> network ---> system    (works)

TERMINAL EMULATION  --> COM1: --> Int14H --> network -->system   (what I
                                                                  want)

-kent
------
Kent C. Brodie - Systems Manager      internet:     brodie@fps.mcw.edu
Faculty Physicians & Surgeons         uucpnet:      mcw.edu!brodie
Medical College of Wisconsin	      voicenet:     +1 414 778 4500
				      faxnet:       +1 414 778 6694

"Once again, PMS rears it's ugly head..."   -Kirk  _Dear John_

david@csource.OZ.AU (david nugent) (06/17/90)

In <3495.2677a398@fps.mcw.edu> brodie@fps.mcw.edu writes:

>Now, here's my question.  We have some terminal emulation stuff
>that we HAVE to use (reason is too gross) , but these programs only
>support the STANDARD com1/com2 ports, and not the bios ports.
>
>Is there any way (via someone's driver or something) that I can
>RE-DIRECT references to the STANDARD comx: ports to INT14H ?

No, not that I'm aware of.  You'd need to run in 386 VM to do
anything like that, so it's possible, but probably not practical.

--
         * Unique Computing Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia. *
       david@csource.oz.au  3:632/348@fidonet  28:4100/1@signet