[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MNP Modems

CES8@psuvm.psu.edu (06/17/90)

      A number of modems now offer MNP Class 5 data compression and
MNP Class 4 error control. I would like to know how widespread is the
host support and use of MNP modems.

      I am thinking about upgrading to an MNP modem, but it seems like
the systems I normally use do not support MNP modems. Any experiences
with these modems?

      Thanks in advance for your responses.

      CES8@psuvm.psu.edu       C.E. Soares
                               224 Research Building East
                               NASA Center for Space Propulsion Eng.
                               The Pennsylvania State University

an MNP modem, but the systems I normally use don't seem to support

In article <12785@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax (George Robbins) writes:
>In some environments, such as interactive dial-up access over noisey lines
>or file transfer with dumb PC based software, MNP probably as some real
>advantages - on the other hand if you're buying a modem for your home unix
>system, you'd probably never use it...

If you are buying a modem today, I would ensure that you get MNP.  You might
not use it all the time, but you will always be prepared.  I have 5 modems
attached to our system, all of which are mnp and one of which is a T2500
which I use for uucp connections.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (Gordon Hlavenka) (06/26/90)

>Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  My modem (an Acermodem 2424) has an M
>dialing-modifier, which has the modem try briefly (in originate mode) to
>establish an MNP-reliable connection, and to make a regular connection if
>MNP-reliable is out of the question.

I use the PM2400SA MNP from Practical Peripherals.  After a week or so of
experimentation, the modem now communicates with every system I've tried.
MNP is used if supported, otherwise just standard 2400bps.  The only problem
I've seen is that there is sometimes a problem getting block-oriented file
transfers to work.  (YMODEM, etc) with non-MNP modems.  These problems are
minor, but did not exist when I ran the modem in non-MNP mode with the same
systems.

In Telix 3.12, it is possible to have different dialing prefixes for
different systems on the dialing list (four codes intended for Long Distance
access are provided).  Set one up for MNP systems, and another for non-MNP,
and you've got the best of both worlds.
Gordon S. Hlavenka                 cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us
Disclaimer: He's lying

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (06/26/90)

In article <2680f909-1fb7.1comp.sys.ibm.pc-1@vpnet.chi.il.us> drp@vpnet.chi.il.us (Douglas Pokorny) writes:
>The MNP protocol HAS been implemented in software for people who own
>"stanadard" 2400 baud modems.  The terminal program is called MTE, it's
>shareware (with a $50 registration fee) it emulates procomm's keystrokes
>and emulates MNP level 5 and down.

About half a year ago there was discussion about MTE terminal
program, and several posters informed that it is NOT shareware, but
fully commercial.  Unless things haven't changed since then, and
assuming that the information was correct, this means that MTE may
not be distributed through ftp sites nor bulletin boards.  Some
SysOps were even admonished for keeping commercial wares up for
download.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)