[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Boot from B: drive....

carlson@gateway.mitre.org (Bruce Carlson) (06/27/90)

In article <1990Jun25.143046.18690@gdt.bath.ac.uk> ccsmh@gdt.bath.ac.uk (Mark Harding) writes:
>wallwey@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) writes:
>>paid much attention.  Anyways here it goes... Is there a way to boot
>>from the B: drive?  I only need to do this once.
>>-Dean Wallwey
>I hope not, as this is the first level of security on my machines :-)
> _ _ _   __   _ __   _   ,   _    ,   Mark Harding,

There is always the possibility of physically swapping cables from
A to B, but I assume this isn't what you are talking about.

The only machines I know of that will boot from B: are some/most
of the newer Zenith machines.  You can go into the ROM-based
setup routine (CTRL-ALT-INS) and set up the boot device and sequence.
You can boot from A: only (will not try to boot from the hard disk),
A: then C: (no disk in A:, same boot sequence as most PCs),
or you can boot from B:.

I don't know if any other BIOS offers these options.

Bruce Carlson
carlson@gateway.mitre.org