[net.movies] unwarranted praise of "WarGames"

bukys@rochester.UUCP (07/06/83)

I essentially concur with Lauren Weinstein's review of "WarGames".
I wish I had written it, and probably would have done so eventually.
It's just that I couldn't bear to waste the time and effort reviewing
such a slight subject.

So, trying not to waste too many words on this fluff:

	"WarGames" is a not-all-that-entertaining grade-B+ movie which
	is succeeding only because it exploits the currently
	fashionable "nuclear freeze"-type sentiments.  It would be a
	fine made-for-TV movie, but for $4 I expect more drama, action,
	suspense, or something.

	"WarGames" draws fire for technical misrepresentations because
	it attempts to be taken seriously, in order to make its
	political points.  By contrast, "Tron" upsets no one because it
	is not purporting to represent reality.

If so many of you really believe that "WarGames" is at all comparable
to "Dr. Strangelove", then the fluoride must really have done us in.
Our children may never even be able to handle "see spot run" if this
corruption of our precious bodily fluids continues.

-------------------
| Liudvikas Bukys |
| rochester!bukys |
| bukys@rochester |
       #
       ####see#"local#hero"#instead######
					#

bukys@rochester.UUCP (07/06/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site wjh12.UUCP
Posting-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site rochester.UUCP
Path:wjh12!genrad!linus!philabs!seismo!rochester!bukys