[comp.sys.ibm.pc] restore not finding files

craigg@hpwrce.HP.COM (06/27/90)

I had the same problem some time ago...

I was trying to restore a subdirectory from another system to my system.
The backup files listed with a DIR on the drive.

I had created the new SUBDIR with the same name as was used on the source.
But....

I found that the BACKUP command had been issued from inside the SUBDIR.

I found this by trying several times to RESTORE the files (no luck), then
switched to the SUBDIR to check it and issued the RESTORE again.  This time
it worked !!  I checked my syntax to be sure, but found that the only
difference was the fact that I was in the SUBDIR.

I tried this a few more times, and found that the files would not restore
unless I was in the SUBDIR.  RESTORE would still ask me for all of the
floppies, but ended with "No Files found to Restore".

Hope this helps....

fisher@sc2a.unige.ch (Markus Fischer) (06/28/90)

In article <16360010@hpwrce.HP.COM>, craigg@hpwrce.HP.COM writes:

[using RESTORE from root or from whithin a subdir]

> I tried this a few more times, and found that the files would not restore
> unless I was in the SUBDIR.  RESTORE would still ask me for all of the
> floppies, but ended with "No Files found to Restore".

You must have forgotten the `/s' switch, telling RESTORE to restore *all* files.
If you omit this switch, only the current directory will be restored...

BTW: It doesn't matter from where you issued the BACKUP command, the full path
is stored in all cases.  The only way to shorten that path is to use SUBST.
(Thus the sequence:  SUBST X: C:\SOMEDIR; BACKUP X:*.* A: /s; RESTORE A: C: /s
will have the same effect as "XCOPY C:\SOMEDIR\ C:\ /S"...)

Regards,

Markus Fischer