[comp.sys.ibm.pc] LZE

brian@leah.Albany.Edu (Brian King) (06/28/90)

I was just reading in the June 25, 1990 issue of INFOWORLD about a program
called LZE. It supposedly takes empty space out of EXE and COM files. It also
states that execution speeds can nearly double at times. Has anyone used this?
Does it really work? Has it meesed up any of your files? Are there any FTP
sites that I can obtain this from? Thanks for any help.

-Brian King
 University at Albany
 Internet: brian@leah.albany.edu
 Bitnet: brian@albnyvms.bitnet

P.S. The article was on page 90.

reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (06/28/90)

In article <3250@leah.Albany.Edu>, brian@leah.Albany.Edu (Brian King) writes...

>states that execution speeds can nearly double at times. Has anyone used this?
>Does it really work? Has it meesed up any of your files? Are there any FTP
>sites that I can obtain this from? Thanks for any help.

Brian,

I believe you'll find the program on SIMTEL20 as:

	PD1:<MSDOS.FILUTL>LZEXE91.ZIP

Execution speed isn't affected, but it does take a finite amount of time to
unpack the file as it's read off the disk (I don't notice it, though).
There's a companion program to uncompress a compressed .EXE file, UNLZEXE I
believe it's called, also available on SIMTEL20 somewhere.

I found it very useful for compressing 300K executables down to 150K.

jim

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet: reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:     ...decwrl!ricks.enet!reisert
77 Reed Road
Hudson, MA  01749-2895

In article <3250@leah.Albany.Edu> brian@leah.Albany.Edu (Brian King) writes:

   I was just reading in the June 25, 1990 issue of INFOWORLD about a
   program called LZE. It supposedly takes empty space out of EXE and
   COM files. It also states that execution speeds can nearly double
   at times. Has anyone used this?  Does it really work? Has it meesed
   up any of your files? Are there any FTP sites that I can obtain
   this from? Thanks for any help.

Sigh.  In principle, it's a combination of an archive program and a built-in
uncompressor that uncompresses and runs the program.  It can't make your
programs execute faster, it can only make them load faster (BTW, it does,
unless the program is in ramdisk or disk cache).

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
In Communism's central planning, citizens are told "you will make widgets".

frotz@drivax.UUCP (Frotz) (06/28/90)

brian@leah.Albany.Edu (Brian King) writes:

] I was just reading in the June 25, 1990 issue of INFOWORLD about a program
] called LZE. It supposedly takes empty space out of EXE and COM files. It also
] states that execution speeds can nearly double at times. Has anyone used this?
] Does it really work? Has it meesed up any of your files? Are there any FTP
] sites that I can obtain this from? Thanks for any help.

] P.S. The article was on page 90.

Try looking for LZEXE.EXE and LZSHELL.EXE (?) Me thinks that someone
on a BBS is being stupid and renaming things.  Or else Cringely is a
little misinformed (by our standards...:-O:-O

Yes they do work, unless of course you are able to move your operating
system into high memory in which case all LZEXE-d executables will
fail miserably.  The workaround is to load something into the first
segment, so that the LZEXE decompression code finds segment 0 as a
valid end of decompression indicator, and not right off the bat.

--
John "Frotz" Fa'atuai	frotz%drivax@uunet.uu.net	(email@domain)
Digital Research, Inc.	{uunet|amdahl}!drivax!frotz	(bang!email)