[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Mouse sucking power?

pam1@ra.MsState.Edu (Phillip A. McReynolds) (06/28/90)

Hello all.  I have a mouse problem.  My new Genius mouse is not functioning
properly.  By this, I mean that the cursor jumps to random areas of the screen
occasionally and generally doesn't behave well.  I have:

An *original* IBM/PC power supply
An XT running at 12 Mhz (no kidding - they call it a Super Turbo - Juko elec.)
A seagate 30 meg hard drive.
A VGA card (Paradise 256).
Two floppy drives (DD).
A Serial Port (driving the mouse).
A multi/I/O device.

Could the power supply be causing the problem?  Is my system too loaded?
A while back it seemed that the problem would go away the longer the computer
had been running (i.e., after it'd 'warmed up'), but EVER SINCE I'VE GOTTEN
THE HARD DRIVE, I experience this problem all the time.

Alternately, could it be my serial card, or even the mouse?  The problem does
not seem to be software dependent.

Emailed responses appreciated.
-----------------------
pam1@ra.msstate.edu -or- sop@athena.ee.msstate.edu -or- dbeattie@msstate.bitnet

harper@convex.com (David Harper) (06/29/90)

In article <547@ra.MsState.Edu> pam1@ra.MsState.Edu (Phillip A. McReynolds) writes:
>Hello all.  I have a mouse problem.  My new Genius mouse is not functioning
>properly.  By this, I mean that the cursor jumps to random areas of the screen
>occasionally and generally doesn't behave well.

I have seen this problem many times and in every case it has been a conflict
with either port addresses or interrupt levels.  Take a close look at both
the serial board driving the mouse and your multi I/O board and make sure
they are set correctly.

Dave Harper    -     Convex Computer Corp.            E-mail address:
3000 Waterview Pky.  Richardson, TX 75081             harper@convex.COM
(214) 497-4525 (W)   (214) 727-4206 (H)