[comp.sys.ibm.pc] XT motherboard info wanted

bqsy1@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (06/28/90)

	Can anyone recommend a good replacement motherboard for an XT
compatible? I won't be able to invest in a new computer for a while and
this is a simple work-around for me. It would be nice if the motherboard
could have BIOS support for an extended keyboard, 3.5" drives (preferrably
1.44M but 720k will do), and NO speed switching. For my own reasons, I'm
tired of having a machine that I know has a 10MHz CPU, but which always
start up with a default speed of 4.77MHz, and I haven't been able to change
it.
	Anyways, all suggestions are welcome. And I would appreciate any
references people can give as to reliable suppliers.
	Thanks.

	Andrew Orndorff

	Internet: bqsy1@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
	Bitnet:   bqsy1@crnlvax5

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (06/29/90)

In article <4373.2689be21@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> bqsy1@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>	Can anyone recommend a good replacement motherboard for an XT
>compatible? I won't be able to invest in a new computer for a while and
>this is a simple work-around for me. It would be nice if the motherboard
>could have BIOS support for an extended keyboard, 3.5" drives (preferrably
>1.44M but 720k will do), and NO speed switching. For my own reasons, I'm
>tired of having a machine that I know has a 10MHz CPU, but which always
>start up with a default speed of 4.77MHz, and I haven't been able to change
>it.
>	Anyways, all suggestions are welcome. And I would appreciate any
>references people can give as to reliable suppliers.
>	Thanks.

 Do you want another (Blechhh) 8088 based system? You might look into a 286 or
386 motherboard (386 preferred of course). I just bought an ECS 386 motherboard
and was quite pleased with it. It is a baby size so it fits in an XT case.
(Some cards might be a problem though, too high)

Most motherboards these days come up by default in turbo mode, or have a jumper
you can change.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254