[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DBIII+ Title Screen Bypass

nam2254@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil (Tom Ohmer) (06/27/90)

From article <1709@mountn.dec.com>, by shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara):
> []
> I have to constantly face the copyright notice for about ten seconds
> before it moves on to my application.
>
> Does anyone have a work around to bypass this 'feature'?

A couple of years ago, though I couldn't get the notice to not display, I
used PCTools to find the text it contained in one of dBase III Plus' files.
Made some amusing changes :-) and it still ran fine.
--
Tom Ohmer @ Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center,
            DSAC-AMB, Bldg. 27-6, P.O. Box 1605, Columbus, OH  43216-5002

tomr@ashtate (Tom Rombouts) (06/28/90)

In article <2267@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil> nam2254@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil (Tom Ohmer) writes:
>From article <1709@mountn.dec.com>, by shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara):
>> []
>> I have to constantly face the copyright notice for about ten seconds
>> before it moves on to my application.
>>
>> Does anyone have a work around to bypass this 'feature'?
>
>A couple of years ago, though I couldn't get the notice to not display, I
>used PCTools to find the text it contained in one of dBase III Plus' files.
>Made some amusing changes :-) and it still ran fine.

What!?  You violated your license agreement!  Shame on you!

Anyway, here are a few more ideas on this topic:

1.  The PD "keyfake" (or similar) utility can be used to stuff
an extra carriage return when dBASE III+ is loaded from a .BAT file,
causing the opening screen to only be visible for an instant.

2.  Although Ashton-Tate certain does not apporve of them, there are
several patches floating around on BBS's that tell you how to use
DEBUG or a similar utility to modify dbase.exe so that the opening
screen does not appear.  Obviously, this requires a certain amount
of expertise, as well as trust that the patch does not adversely
affect anything else in the program.

3.  For you dBASE IV users, starting dBASE with the -t command line
option results in a smaller copyright screen that is only displayed
for about two seconds.

Tom Rombouts   Torrance Techie  Voice: (213) 538-7108
				tomr@ashtate.A-T.com

(As always, the above opinions are mine alone and do not necessarily
 represent any known corporate entity, past or present.)

dell@uspm800.Dayton.NCR.COM (Jim Dell) (06/29/90)

In article <2267@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil> nam2254@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil (Tom Ohmer)
>From article <1709@mountn.dec.com>, by shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com (Chris Sha
>> []
>> I have to constantly face the copyright notice for about ten seconds
>> before it moves on to my application.
>>
>> Does anyone have a work around to bypass this 'feature'?

In dbase IV you can on the command line enter /t to bypass the copyright
notice.  I don't know if this will work for dbase III+.

Hope this helps

Jim
--
  Jim Dell                                      e-mail:
  NCR Corporation                               Jim.Dell@dayton.NCR.COM