[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Sound Boards - Speaker Recommendations

jch@cbnewsh.att.com (jeffrey.c.halle) (06/28/90)

Now that everyone has "sounded off" about the various sound boards, I need
some related info.  Does anyone have recommendations for speakers to use
with them?  SB puts out 4W at 4ohms, or 2W at 8.  I assume AL is similar.
I've seen a Radio Shack speaker rated for 10W at 8 ohms.  (The model
something-3.5 I think.)  Is this one OK, or do I need one even smaller?
Specific experience is especially appreciated.  (Hooking to the stereo is
out - it's on the other side of the house.)  Thanks.

chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu (Chuck Rickard; (PC)) (06/29/90)

OBIn article <1990Jun28.125810.3232@cbnewsh.att.com> jch@cbnewsh.att.com (jeffrey.c.halle) writes:
>Now that everyone has "sounded off" about the various sound boards, I need
>some related info.  Does anyone have recommendations for speakers to use
>with them?  SB puts out 4W at 4ohms, or 2W at 8.  I assume AL is similar.
>I've seen a Radio Shack speaker rated for 10W at 8 ohms.  (The model
>something-3.5 I think.)  Is this one OK, or do I need one even smaller?
>Specific experience is especially appreciated.  (Hooking to the stereo is
>out - it's on the other side of the house.)  Thanks.

I put the 4 inch 8 ohm Radio Shack speaker in mine and it sounds pretty loud.
It gives a little better bass responce and generally better sound all around.
I mounted it to the place where the long-card brackets are so it would be
facing outwards.  This seemed to be a good place because the holes already
matched up with holes already there.  Good Luck!

Chuck Rickard
(chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu)

wales@gidday.enet.dec.com (David Wales) (06/29/90)

In article <1990Jun28.125810.3232@cbnewsh.att.com>,
jch@cbnewsh.att.com (jeffrey.c.halle) writes...

>Now that everyone has "sounded off" about the various sound boards, I need
>some related info.  Does anyone have recommendations for speakers to use
>with them?  SB puts out 4W at 4ohms, or 2W at 8.  I assume AL is similar.
>I've seen a Radio Shack speaker rated for 10W at 8 ohms.  (The model
>something-3.5 I think.)  Is this one OK, or do I need one even smaller?
>Specific experience is especially appreciated.  (Hooking to the stereo is
>out - it's on the other side of the house.)  Thanks.

Even though the board has it's own amplifier I think the best way to go is to
use a pair of amplified speakers.  I use a pair of AIWA amplified speakers with
my Adlib board and it sounds a lot better than just ordinary speakers.  I also
tested it with a pair of Bose amplified speakers (28W/ch!) and it sounded
fantastic.  Unfortunately they belonged to a friend and he wanted them back
:-(.  There are various types and qualities of these type of speakers available
so you should choose carefully.  Take along your walkman to try them out as
that is what they are designed for in the first place.  If they sound good with
that then they'll sound good with the sound card too.

|  David Wales - Sydney, Australia      | Internet: wales@gidday.enet.dec.com |
|                                       | FIDOnet:  3:712/517 (My Other Half) |
|  "Only 37 years 'till retirement!"    | UUCP:   decwrl!gidday.enet!wales    |
|  Opinions expressed are mine and      | Voice:  (61) 2 713-1809 (H)         |
|  mine only!                           |         (61) 2 412-7334 (W)         |