[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How to put DOS boot files on a non-system disk

tomf@cms2.UUCP (Tom Fortner) (06/28/90)

In article <1990Jun22.150018.14802@caen.engin.umich.edu# cys@caen.engin.umich writes:
#
# Obviously, the question is how to do it without reformating
#the hard disk. When I tried to use command "sys c:", it said
#there is no room for the files ibmbio.com and ibmdos.com.
#Could someone give me some advice? Is there any utility that
#will allow me to do that.
# Thanks.

PCTools and Norton Utilities will allow you to remove the system files without
reformatting the entire drive. But reformatting is the only sure way, for
if the new files are larger than the old ones, it will still respond with
"No room".
Tom

--
    Tom Fortner                        ** The greatest gift a man can offer
    Christian Medical & Dental Society ** his Maker is a repentant committed

TEB106@psuvm.psu.edu (Tom billet) (06/29/90)

Norton 4.5 will do the job. Norton will move whatever files are currently
taking up the system area to another location thus freeing up the area.  Norton
will then transfer the system files to the system area.

europa@cbnewsh.att.com (r.j.capik) (06/30/90)

From article <90179.170238TEB106@psuvm.psu.edu>, by TEB106@psuvm.psu.edu (Tom billet):
> Norton 4.5 will do the job. Norton will move whatever files are currently
> taking up the system area to another location thus freeing up the area.
> Norton will then transfer the system files to the system area.

I don't know if this technique should be trusted. I did this to upgrade
the system on my hard disk and nearly lost the use of my entire system!
The new system was transfered with no (apparent) trouble, but in the
process the partition table (partition table pointer ?) and the boot
loader were corrupted. The new system disk will boot,  but can't find
the hard disk, the hard disk won't boot, and the old system won't boot.
I was lucky, however, in that I found a version of generic MS-DOS that
would boot AND allow me access to the hard drive (only the main boot
partition). I'll probably have to do a low level reformat to recover
from this "helpful" transfer technique, but that life. I do have 99% of
the files backed up, but rebuilding a large hard disk is still a pain.
If any one knows of another way to recover I'd love to hear it. I have
other PCs I can work on, so I've put off this reformat project until
I have a little more time.

Ron Capik
Bell Labs, New Jersey
[ I don't know my proper net path, else I'd put it here ]