[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How Coherent is it ...?

rcruz@paul.rutgers.edu (Rafael Cruz) (06/28/90)

In a recent Dr. Dobb's Journal I came across an ad for a product called
Coherent which claims to be a virtual clone of UNIX, and a *very*
inexpensive one. Before I rush to place an order for the thing, I want
to call upon the wisdom of the net to get some feedback from those of
you who have used Coherent.

Any input, positive or negative, will be greatly appreciated.

---------
Rafael Cruz
rcruz@paul.rutgers.edu

heiser@world.std.com (Bill Heiser) (06/29/90)

In article <Jun.27.14.06.13.1990.11971@paul.rutgers.edu> rcruz@paul.rutgers.edu (Rafael Cruz) writes:
>inexpensive one. Before I rush to place an order for the thing, I want
>to call upon the wisdom of the net to get some feedback from those of
>you who have used Coherent.

Well, it depends on what you want to use it for.  If you want to do programming in a Unix environemtn, it's probably OK.  If you want to port much of anything from Usenet, then forget it.

--
 Bill Heiser | heiser@sud509.ed.ray.com
_____________| heiser@world.std.com

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (06/30/90)

rcruz@paul.rutgers.edu (Rafael Cruz) writes:
>In a recent Dr. Dobb's Journal I came across an ad for a product called
>Coherent which claims to be a virtual clone of UNIX, and a *very*
>inexpensive one. Before I rush to place an order for the thing, I want
>to call upon the wisdom of the net to get some feedback from those of
>you who have used Coherent.
>
>Any input, positive or negative, will be greatly appreciated.

The answer is...not very.

Here's the bull on MWC's Coherent.

1. Swapping is not currently supported.
2. It's only a small model 286 Unix (probably ala V7).
3. A lot of BSD/SysV code will NOT port over easily.

It's basically a commercial 16-bit Minix.  That's it.  You have the 64K code
and data segment limitation which makes a lot of code impossible to port.

MWC claims (at least from some posts on the net) that there will be a 386
version that supports demand paging, but I doubt it will be for the same
price.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 */