[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Schematics, etc.

ewk@plnapc.Philips.Com (Ernie Kent) (06/29/90)

In article <1127@gold.GVG.TEK.COM>, grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) writes:
> In article <20539@duke.cs.duke.edu> zielke@romeo.cs.duke.edu (David Zielke c/o hsg) writes:
> >
> #include <stdflame.ibm-pc>
> #ifdef FLAME
>
> An now for a flame. I am really angry at the way the PC industry is run by
> TECHO-MORONS. Gone are the days when you bought a computer and got all the
> schematics, programming details, data sheets, etc. I've been a hardware
> nut for 12 years, and I wouldn't trade my 2.5 Mhz Z80 for a 486 if my life
> depended upon it.
>
> #endif

I couldn't agree more. You see the same thing in all technical areas these
days; high fidelity equipment, for example. It's probably true that it's a
waste of paper for 99.99% of the customers to include the schematics, and
I assume it's a cost-cutting measure. Alas, the average computer purchaser
is no longer technically literate; the "old days" really are gone, Greg.

However, the stuff has got to be available somehow since it must exist.
Somebody has it and could produce it for a price or as a service to his
fellow creatures. Is there a net where sources for this sort of thing are
posted, or could this be the right place?

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (07/01/90)

>> In article <20539@duke.cs.duke.edu> zielke@romeo.cs.duke.edu (David Zielke c/o hsg) writes:
>> Gone are the days when you bought a computer and got all the
>> schematics, programming details, data sheets, etc.

When I bought my Wells American 286 box oh-so-long ago, they included a form
you could return for free schematics.  I returned it and they never followed
through.  Now it's dead, and they went out of business just this spring.  :-(

The owners manual included with all Amigas has schematics of the full computer,
pinouts of all the external connectors, etc, etc.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@quonset.cfht.hawaii.edu