[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Probable NON-DOS Disk

jack.lupic@canremote.uucp (JACK LUPIC) (06/28/90)

P Message entered 1990 06 26  22:31 P

I have a Segate ST251-1 partitioned into 3 logical drives.Recently
and when I run CHKDSK,it reports on my Drive D:\ <second partition>
"Probable NON-DOS Disk,Continue Y/N".This is under DOS 4.01.

I do have some locked-out bad sectors but the drive works fine.

The fats seem to be OK and I have run all sort of drive checking
utilities with no avail.Does anyone have a clue what might be
hapenning?
---

cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com (CJ Pilzer) (07/01/90)

In article <e7b9ac1e186726895f00@canremote.uucp>, jack.lupic@canremote.uucp (JACK LUPIC) writes:
> P Message entered 1990 06 26  22:31 P
>
> I have a Segate ST251-1 partitioned into 3 logical drives.Recently
> and when I run CHKDSK,it reports on my Drive D:\ <second partition>
> "Probable NON-DOS Disk,Continue Y/N".This is under DOS 4.01.
A report of a PROBABLE NON-DOS PARTITION is almost always an indication
that the media descriptor byte of the partition or disk is corrupted.
This byte is located in three places on your disk:

	Sector 0, Offset 21 of the Boot Record
	Sector 1, Offset 0 of the FAT 1
	Offset 0 in the 1st sector of FAT 2

This byte should be hex F8 for a hard disk.  You can fix this with several
utilities such as the Norton Utilities.  Full instructions are included on
page 108 of the Norton Troubleshooter, a pamphlet included with the Norton
Utilities.  You could of course use any other sector editor.

However, you really want to know what caused this problem to avoid any more
serious damage to your data.  One way to do this is to fix the corrupted
byte.  Then keep a record of what you are doing between reasonably often
runs of CHKDSK.  If you get the error message agian, you know that it was
caused by something that occurred between that run and the last clear run
of CHLDSK.

-- cj

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (07/02/90)

cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com (CJ Pilzer) <413@beartrk.beartrack.com> :
| However, you really want to know what caused this problem to avoid any more
| serious damage to your data.  One way to do this is to fix the corrupted
| byte.  Then keep a record of what you are doing between reasonably often
| runs of CHKDSK.  If you get the error message agian, you know that it was
| caused by something that occurred between that run and the last clear run
| of CHLDSK.

Right, sounds good...

This problem seems to show up on the net every month or so.  My turn was
last year sometime.  Has ANYONE had it happen twice, so they could
reasonably try to track down the culprit?  My software usage patterns
have not changed significantly since it happened to me.

I stick by my theory, this is the only symptom of the subtlest virus
written to date....  Gee.  Maybe it's a self-immunizing virus, to boot
(so to speak :-).