[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC screendump to PostScript

vgopal@cbnewsc.att.com (venu.p.gopal) (07/02/90)

In article <49247@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> hess@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Caleb Hess) writes:

>Does there exist a PostScript font containing the PC graphics characters
>for line drawing?  We would like to be able to do screen dumps from a PC
>by simply using a matching font, rather than having to recreate the
>graphics.

You don't have to write your own - there is PC screendump to postscript
program available called Screen-to-Postscript (SCRtoPS).  It will capture
text images including all PC graphics characters in text mode i.e. using
fonts, not graphics mode.  It also does capture graphics modes -CGA,EGA,
VGA etc. and will convert color to grayscale for EGA/VGA/SuperVGA.  The
output may be sent to the printer port or saved as an encapsulated
postscript file.

The program is sold by Offe Enterprises - the number is (708)-357-6679 and
costs $49.95 plus $5 shipping (plus 6.75% tax in Illinois. There is a discount
of $10 for pre-paid orders). The address is 1163 E. Ogden Ave., #705-131,
Naperville, IL, USA 60563).  I believe a capture+post-processing program
to capture the "attributes" (read colors/blinking) also and convert them
to different foreground/background shades/thicknesses with a built-in editor
to select the mapping is also available for a higher price.

The nice thing about SCRtoPS is that it captures text in text form
and takes up only 10K of memory as a TSR.  Resulting files will read into
Venutura and Word Perfect too.  The graphics files do not use any run
length encoding and tend to be big.

Venu P. Gopal   UUCP: ..!att!cbnewsc!vgopal   Internet: vgopal@cbnewsc.att.com