[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HD noise

dave@compnect.UUCP (Dave Ratcliffe) (06/28/90)

In article <fjs.646307440@chamber>, fjs@chamber.caltech.edu (Fernando J. Selman) writes:
> I am using an old Compaq Plus. Whenever I turn it off there is a noise
> coming from the hard disk as it is stopped. It sound the same as my old
> car brakes. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks for any help.

It's probably just the spindle brake. It pops out when you remove power and is
meant to stop the platters from spinning quickly rather than just letting them
spin down by themselves. Depending on how old the drive is, the pad on the
brake might need to be replaced but I have an old IMI drive here that screams
bloody murder every time I turn it off and the brake pad is just fine.

           *>> Dave <<*

[------: Dave Ratcliffe :--------:-: 2832 Croyden Rd. Harrisburg Pa. 17104 :-]
:   dave@compnect.uucp    -or-   :           The Data Factory BBS            :
: uunet!wa3wbu!compnect!dave -or-:   Data: (717)657-4997 - (717)657-4992     :
:   compnect!dave@uunet.UU.NET   :...........................................]
[........use what works..........]

tomf@cms2.UUCP (Tom Fortner) (06/28/90)

In article <fjs.646307440@chamber# fjs@chamber.caltech.edu (Fernando J. Selman) writes:
#I am using an old Compaq Plus. Whenever I turn it off there is a noise
#coming from the hard disk as it is stopped. It sound the same as my old
#car brakes. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks for any help.
Yea!
Back it up now!
A squeeling noise usually indicates a head rubbing on a platter. If parking
the heads changes the noise then there's little doubt.
As a drive becomes older, the bearings on the spindle shaft loosen, the pivot
on the head actuators wears, and sometimes things get too close for comfort.
This shows up best at wind up and wind down because the air being propelled
off the disk is diminished and the clearance between head and platter becomes
unstable, as a toy top when it is turning too slow wobbles before falling.
A good disk overhaul shop can salvage a disk in this shape usually for half
the price of a new one.
Tom
!

--
    Tom Fortner                        ** The greatest gift a man can offer
    Christian Medical & Dental Society ** his Maker is a repentant committed

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (07/02/90)

In article <294@cms2.UUCP> tomf@cms2.UUCP (Tom Fortner) writes:
>In article <fjs.646307440@chamber# fjs@chamber.caltech.edu (Fernando J. Selman) writes:
>#I am using an old Compaq Plus. Whenever I turn it off there is a noise
>#coming from the hard disk as it is stopped. It sound the same as my old
>#car brakes. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks for any help.
>Yea!
>Back it up now!
>A squeeling noise usually indicates a head rubbing on a platter. If parking
>the heads changes the noise then there's little doubt.
>As a drive becomes older, the bearings on the spindle shaft loosen, the pivot
>on the head actuators wears, and sometimes things get too close for comfort.
>This shows up best at wind up and wind down because the air being propelled
>off the disk is diminished and the clearance between head and platter becomes
>unstable, as a toy top when it is turning too slow wobbles before falling.
>A good disk overhaul shop can salvage a disk in this shape usually for half
>the price of a new one.

I doubt if it is a head rubbing the platter. If that were happening, the disk
would be completely unuseable by now. Once a head contacts a platter, you will
surely know it.

It is probably a noisy bearing, or more likely, a vibrating static dissipator,
the latter not being serious and may be able to be fixed by moving (carefully)
the little metal (usually copper) brush that rides on the spindle. If this
doesn't do it, sometime a drop of silicone rubber (SMALL drop) on it will
change its resonant frequency.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254