[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Patching Kermit: How to do it

t-rayc@microsoft.UUCP (Raymond CHEN) (07/02/90)

(I posted this because it seems to be of general interest.)

In article <346@demott.COM> kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:
>Nothing happens.

You have to issue the patch command TWICE.  I.e.,

	patch
	patch

Presumably, this is to make sure you REALLY want to apply the patch,
and aren't some bozo who just issues the command at random.

>How do I save the patches? Do I have to have the patch command in
>mskermit.ini from now on?

The patches are made to the memory image.  There is no facility to
saved the patched executable.  So you have to leave the patch commands
in your mskermit.ini until you get the next version of kermit
(which presumably will have the patches already applied).
--
Reply to raymond@math.berkeley.edu if microsoft!t-rayc@uunet.uu.net bounces.

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (07/02/90)

In article <55571@microsoft.UUCP> t-rayc@microsoft.UUCP (Raymond CHEN) writes:
>(I posted this because it seems to be of general interest.)
>
>In article <346@demott.COM> kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:
>>Nothing happens.
>
>You have to issue the patch command TWICE.  I.e.,
>
>	patch
>	patch
>
>Presumably, this is to make sure you REALLY want to apply the patch,
>and aren't some bozo who just issues the command at random.

    This also doesn't install the cd patch.
--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

                96.37% of all statistics are made up.

LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) (07/02/90)

In article <55571@microsoft.UUCP>,
t-rayc@microsoft.UUCP (Raymond CHEN) writes:

>You have to issue the patch command TWICE.  I.e.,
>
>        patch
>        patch
This was true only of version 3.00, owing to a bug in the program.
For versions 3.01 and above, you only need to execute the patch
command once.

Richard Stanton

leadfoot@leftlane.ucs.dec.com (Mark Curtis) (07/03/90)

Could someone post a kermit 3.01 patch file with the latest patches
in it.  The one that comes with the 3.01 release doesn't seem to fix
anything.  The main problem I am having is with remote commands
like rem dir, rem space, and rem cd.  Without a patch these commands
just return an error, but the 3.00 version worked fine.  I understand
that there are other problems, but this is the main one for me.

Thanks,
Mark