[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Word Perfect 5.1 and EMS40.SYS collision

simon@hpspwr.enet.dec.com (Curiosier and curiosier...) (07/03/90)

I was trying to install Word Perfect 5.1 on a 12 MHz 286 with a 16 bit
Paradise VGA and a generic 2 Mb expanded (EMS 4.0) memory board.  After
the installation, as soon as I went to Setup, I got garbage on the
screen.  Testing (by eliminating lines one at a time) the config.sys, I
found that something in Word Perfect collides with the EMS40 driver:

device=C:EMS40.SYS /P=268

The EMS40 came with the expanded memory board (2 Mb).  Is there
any other driver I could use since I need both Word Perfect and the
expanded memory (DESQview is my default environment)?  Or maybe I missed
something in the manual?  WP 5.0 works without problems.

Thanks
Leo
---------
Leo Simon			simon@pwrvax.enet.dec.com

Who is not liberal when young, does not have a heart.
Who is not conservative when old, does not have a brain.

						-- W. Churchill

mcdonald@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Dan McDonald) (07/03/90)

In article <13039@shlump.nac.dec.com>, simon@hpspwr.enet.dec.com (Curiosier and curiosier...) writes:

> I was trying to install Word Perfect 5.1 on a 12 MHz 286 with a 16 bit
> Paradise VGA and a generic 2 Mb expanded (EMS 4.0) memory board.  After
> the installation, as soon as I went to Setup, I got garbage on the
> screen.  Testing (by eliminating lines one at a time) the config.sys, I
> found that something in Word Perfect collides with the EMS40 driver:
>
> device=C:EMS40.SYS /P=268
>
> The EMS40 came with the expanded memory board (2 Mb).  Is there
> any other driver I could use since I need both Word Perfect and the
> expanded memory (DESQview is my default environment)?  Or maybe I missed
> something in the manual?  WP 5.0 works without problems.

We experienced a similar situation which we fixed yesterday. Turns out you must
use the options:

/r /32

when running Word Perfect 5.1 with expanded memory. Seems that WP5.1 does not
like LIM 4.0. The /32 option instructs WP to use LIM 3.2 calls only. I thought
it was just our Everex EV159 board, however, your article makes me believe
that it it WP's fault. We have called WP and alerted them of our situation.
You may want to do the same.

Check Appendix N of the WP5.1 manual for a complete listing of startup options.

Dan McDonald
Office Automation Analyst
Oakland University
Rochester Hills, Michigan