[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Opinion on Amstrad Computers please!

ss2@beach.cis.ufl.edu (SKS) (07/02/90)

Dear Netters

       I am thinking of purchasing an Amstrad 386 20MHZ computer  with
multilevel cache built in for $1999 (VGA card and hires monitor and
other goodies) from a local vendor.  If there are anybody in the netland
who has this machine or who knows something about Amstrad computers, I
would like to hear from them.

       Also, the machine has a lot of stuff built into the motherboard
like the VGA card etc. although it provides 5 standard expansion slots.
Has this kind of configuration caused problems to anybody?

        Amstrad claims that they are the largest sellers of PC compatible
machines in Europe and that they outsell IBM. Is there any truth in that?
Somebody in Europe should be able to confirm this.

	Thanks in advance for your help.  I will summarise the response
provided there exists enough interest.

Shyam

P.S. Anybody tried running OS/2 or UN*X on Amstrad machines?

clear@bearcave.actrix.co.nz (Charlie Lear) (07/03/90)

ss2@beach.cis.ufl.edu (SKS) writes:
>        I am thinking of purchasing an Amstrad 386 20MHZ computer ...
>        Also, the machine has a lot of stuff built into the motherboard
> like the VGA card etc. although it provides 5 standard expansion slots.
> Has this kind of configuration caused problems to anybody?

I'm typing this article on a 2386 at the moment.

They are very good machines with a high level of standard hardware, eg
minimum configuration is 4MB of RAM, VGA and 65MB HDD in most countries.
64k static RAM cache means zero wait states, much better than most.
Older machines with an early BIOS had a lot of problems related to hard
disks and random lockups, however all dud BIOSes should have been
replaced (wherever you are in the world) at least a year ago.

Amstrad have traditionally fitted Seagate ST277R drives mounted
transversely behind the two 3.5" floppy blanking plates to the right of
the single 1.44 drive. They have never been too fussy about drive
quality, and I have personally seen 65MB drives with up to 450k in bad
sectors. The manual states "up to 1% bad sectors" is acceptable - don't
take that bullsh*t! If its over 80k, its too high. Modern drives simply
don't have any bad sectors, or only a few k maximum.

Additionally, check the disk access time. For a long time, standard
ST277R's were fitted which - believe me - are DOG SLOW in a 20MHz 386.
The one I'm using is a 1990 model with an ST277R-1: allegedly 28ms but
more like 33. Definitely marginal in a fast machine.

Check to see if the drive is using the on-board controller or if it is
disabled and using a 16-bit controller in one of the slots. Most do.

> P.S. Anybody tried running OS/2 or UN*X on Amstrad machines?

I haven't tried OS/2, but an English Amstrad PC magazine for May '90 had
a "how-to" on installing an Amstrad-specific version of SCO-Xenix. I made
enquiries but the product seems to be UK-only - ask locally.

Regards
 Charlie "The Bear" Lear

smithju@motcid.UUCP (Justin A. Smith) (07/03/90)

ss2@beach.cis.ufl.edu (SKS) writes:

>Dear Netters
>
>       I am thinking of purchasing an Amstrad 386 20MHZ computer  with
>multilevel cache built in for $1999 (VGA card and hires monitor and
>other goodies) from a local vendor.  If there are anybody in the netland
>who has this machine or who knows something about Amstrad computers, I
>would like to hear from them.

I used several of the Amstrad machines when i was in the UK. They were all
8086 (or 8088 i forget) based. I was reasonably impressed, they ran all
the software i tried to run. Overall i think they were reasonably good
value, it was possible to pick up better deals form other clone manufacturers
but you had to be prepared to hunt around, and know a bit about what you
wanted. Most people did not know much about PC's and so it was very
easy to go into a high street store and buy one off the shelf with all
the software configured.

>       Also, the machine has a lot of stuff built into the motherboard
>like the VGA card etc. although it provides 5 standard expansion slots.
>Has this kind of configuration caused problems to anybody?

I added a couple of cards on odd occasions, and found no probelm. In the
UK there is alot of software written especially for Amstrads, and uses
the little differences that exist.

>        Amstrad claims that they are the largest sellers of PC compatible
>machines in Europe and that they outsell IBM. Is there any truth in that?
>Somebody in Europe should be able to confirm this.

I would not be at all surprised. PCs are making there way into homes and
small busineses in europe, and i think a great deal are Amstrad, due to
the fact that they are easy to buy, and Amstrad is a well known name.

>P.S. Anybody tried running OS/2 or UN*X on Amstrad machines?

Fraid not.

Overall they are pretty good i believe, if i had the money i probably would
buy elsewhere, and get a better deal. but if i did not want the hassle then
i would just walk into a shop and buy one.

Justin Smith.

             Justin Smith   SYSOP- Orange Crush BBS  (708) 359-5379
                        24 Hours USRobotics HST14400/V.32
Email UUNET smithju@motcid.uu.net  INTERNET motcid!smithju@chg.mcd.mot.com

jagrogan@vax1.tcd.ie (07/04/90)

>        I am thinking of purchasing an Amstrad 386 20MHZ computer  with

STOP, think first!!
I'm working for a company for the summer who used to deal
a lot with Amstrads. We were experiencing a 200% failure rate (on average)
with Amstrad machines, these include the PC2086, PC2286 and PC2386.
Apparently the 386 has the worst record, so much so that we wouldn't
touch them anymore, but we still have a lot of 8086 and 80286 machines
on site giving problems. No matter how good a deal you are getting it is
not worth it, because Amstrad and the third party companies they contract
to repair their machines give to too much hassle in getting them repaired.
Having been on an Amstrad training course for repairing their machines, I
can say that the problems are not usually that simple, and often require
spare parts or a new unit - both of which are difficult to get from Amstrad.
I would advise you to look at an alternative machine. Olivetti and Dell are
two very good makes worth looking at.

>         Amstrad claims that they are the largest sellers of PC compatible
> machines in Europe and that they outsell IBM. Is there any truth in that?
> Somebody in Europe should be able to confirm this.

Well I don't know much about that, but I wouldn't really believe it.

						     jagrogan@vax1.tcd.ie
      -----------           ---                      jagrogan@vax1.tcd.ie@cunyvm.cuny.edu
     /          /          /  /                      jagrogan@unix1.tcd.ie
    ----    ----          /  /                       jagrogan@maths.tcd.ie
       /   /   ------    /  /                        jagrogan@tcdmath.uucp
      /   /   /     /   /  -------   /---------      jagrogan@lanczos.tcd.ie
   --    /   /  /  /   /  ----   /  /  ----   /     ---------------------------
  /     /   /     /   /  /   /  /  /  /   /  /       2nd Year Computer Science
  ------    ------    ---    ---   ---    ---         Trinity College Dublin.
                                                    ---------------------------
	"I haven't lost my mind.....I'm sure it's backed up here somewhere!"

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (07/04/90)

>ss2@beach.cis.ufl.edu (SKS) writes:
>>       I am thinking of purchasing an Amstrad 386 20MHZ computer  with
>>multilevel cache built in for $1999 (VGA card and hires monitor and
>>other goodies) from a local vendor.  If there are anybody in the netland
>>who has this machine or who knows something about Amstrad computers, I
>>would like to hear from them.

I have used a few Amstrads, and have developed my own opinion of them.
In Europe & the U.K. they provide the most performance for the money, but
that is because all the other clones are outrageously expensive, compared
to what we are used to at US and Asian prices.  The Amstrads cost more in
Europe than a comparable clone in the US.

In general the Amstrads are not completely compatible with "standard"
PC clones, because there were design tradeoffs made to cut manufacturing
costs.  However, my impression is that any incompatibilities are in the
areas that are very obscure and not used by 99+ percent of all software.

Most of the corner-cutting seems to be in the mechanical aspects, such
as the cabinet, power supply, keyboard, and by putting everything on
one circuit board.  Hardware-wise, there may be some incompatibilities,
and I would not be surprised if anything turned out to not work with it.

My recommendation: If you find a bargain-basement price on an Amstrad,
if you don't require mechanical robustness, and if you are willing to take
a chance on hardware compatibility, then go ahead.

--
John Dudeck                                 "I always ask them, How well do
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                            you want it tested?"