[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MKS shell

rs3r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard E. Stuart) (06/28/90)

Hi,

I just received the latest update to R:Base for DOS (version 3.0) and have
found out that I need at least 520k of Base Memory for it to run.  This
is bad news because I am left with only ~420k of Base Memory because of
the MKS shell and init.exe.  I have nothing else resident in memory.  Has
anyone out there managed to use QEMM or the like to move either the shell
or init.exe out of Base Memory?

This situation is really problematic for me because I write alot to R:Base
code and I've come to depend on the MKS shell as a real working environment.
I'd hate to have to switch back to command.com.

Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.

Ed Stuart
Carnegie Mellon
rs3r+@andrew.cmu.edu

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) (06/29/90)

rs3r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard E. Stuart) writes:

>Hi,

>I just received the latest update to R:Base for DOS (version 3.0) and have
>found out that I need at least 520k of Base Memory for it to run.  This
>is bad news because I am left with only ~420k of Base Memory because of
>the MKS shell and init.exe.  I have nothing else resident in memory.  Has

>I'd hate to have to switch back to command.com.

You might try 4dos (3.01a is the latest version). It's not 100% Unix-like,
but by setting up the right aliases you could probably get a fairly good
system. The great thing about 4dos for you is that when in an application
it swaps itself out, all but about 8K, perhaps less with the right
combination of memory etc. I haven't got the manual with me so I cann't
give exact figures.

4dos is shareware, so you could get it and try it before you register.
It's available on Simtel20, and good bulletin boards everywhere (and if
its not it should be :-))

>Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.

>Ed Stuart
I hope this is a help, Ed.

I'm nothing but a satisfied customer of J.P.Software
Best Regard, Derek Carr
DEREK@DTS.INE.PHILIPS.NL           Philips I&E TQV-5 Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Standard Disclaimers apply.

feustel@well.sf.ca.us (David Alan Feustel) (07/06/90)

Have you tried making an /etc/passwd entry for RBASE as a login
shell?
--
Phone:	 (work) 219-482-9631; MCI mail: DFEUSTEL
E-mail:	feustel@well.sf.ca.us	{ucbvax,apple,hplabs,pacbell}!well!feustel