[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MicroGeneration Computers

peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) (06/29/90)

I was flipping through the July Computer Shopper in my quest for a
decent 386 when I came across an ad for MicroGeneration.  Here is the
info that they give:

     $2999
     386/25Mhz
     64k Cache
     4 Meg RAM
     1.2 Meg Floppy
     1.44 Meg Floppy
     100 Meg IDE Drive w/ 32k Cache
     16bit VGA board w/512k
     14" 1024x768 Color monitor
     1 parallel and 2 serial ports
     101 Key keyboard
     MS-DOS 3.3 or 4.01
     12 Month TRW on site service

Does anyone have any experience with this company?  They have a two page
ad with color, and seem to offer a great deal.  This will be my first IBM
and I don't want to screw myself right away :)  Also, how much of a speed
difference does the 64k cache make?  They offer the same system without a
cache for $2699...

                         Thanks for your help,
                         Joe Peck
                         peck@ral.rpi.edu

mlord@bwdls58.UUCP (Mark Lord) (07/06/90)

>I was flipping through the July Computer Shopper in my quest for a
>decent 386 when I came across an ad for MicroGeneration.

Avoid them like the plague..

I have a system from them.. it arrived buggy, and the backroom support
staff were utterly uncomprehensible and useless.. I dug out my tools and
fixed most of the problems myself (including some soldering).

The sales staff sound very professional and "big-league" on the phone.
The support staff are mostly non-english speaking, making communication
of the nature of problems next to impossible to accomplish.. not very
bright on the whole.

Good prices, though..
--
 ___Mark S. Lord______________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!bmerh614!mlord | These are my opinions only.|

--

draper@cpsin3.uucp (Patrick J Draper) (07/07/90)

In article <3733@bwdls58.UUCP> mlord@bwdls58.UUCP (Mark Lord) writes:
>>I was flipping through the July Computer Shopper in my quest for a
>>decent 386 when I came across an ad for MicroGeneration.
>
>Avoid them like the plague..
>
>I have a system from them.. it arrived buggy, and the backroom support
>staff were utterly uncomprehensible and useless.. I dug out my tools and
>fixed most of the problems myself (including some soldering).
>
>The sales staff sound very professional and "big-league" on the phone.
>The support staff are mostly non-english speaking, making communication
>of the nature of problems next to impossible to accomplish.. not very
>bright on the whole.
>
>Good prices, though..
>--
> ___Mark S. Lord______________________________________________
>| ..uunet!bnrgate!bmerh614!mlord | These are my opinions only.|
>|________________________________|____________________________|

I bought a 12Mhz AT from them a year ago, and I was very happy with it
(and still am).

I don't recommend avoiding them, unless you are a very inexperienced
beginner and want a system that will run out of the box. If you know
something about computers, and are handy with the soldiering iron, they
can be an excellent place to buy a computer.

My computer came complete, and worked very well from day one. However,
after the power had been on about two days, I noticed some erratic
bahavior from the machine. It started beeping and resetting itself every
few seconds. A little while later, a lot of smoke issued from the
keyboard.

The problem turned out to be a capacitor used to shunt high frequency
noise from the keyboard logic - It Fried. After fixing that, the
computer has caused me no other trouble.

I don't blame Micro Generation for that problem because it was located
in a component assembled by another company. In fact, I could have
bought the same keyboard from JDR Microdevices, whose reputation is
excellent.

Micro Generation is probably no better or no worse that any other
Computer shopper type company, just make sure that before you buy that
you have the skills required to deal with little problems that come up.

Patrick Draper  ----  Michigan State University