[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Looking for inexpensive OCR packages

t-nateo@microsoft.UUCP (Nate OSGOOD) (06/29/90)

I'm looking for recommendations on inexpensive (<$400)
Optical Character Recognition (OCR) systems (both framegrabber and
image processing software, if the two aren't bundled together) available
for MS-DOS machines.   I'm seeking the system purely for home use, to
allow for placing passages from books and magazines into electronic format
without the tedium of constant typing.	80%-90% accuracy in recognition
would be acceptable, but I'd prefer not having to train the system on
every new font encountered.   Is such a system available, or must I
wait 5 years before the technology is available?   All comments welcome.

Thanks,
Nate Osgood

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (07/07/90)

In article <55522@microsoft.UUCP>, t-nateo@microsoft.UUCP (Nate OSGOOD) writes:
> I'm looking for recommendations on inexpensive (<$400)
> Optical Character Recognition (OCR) systems (both framegrabber and
> image processing software, if the two aren't bundled together) available
> for MS-DOS machines.

I haven't (yet), but I note that it claims to have OCR bundled with
the software, and I doubt if you'll find cheaper.

Check out the magazine ads, or ask for a demo at a decent store.

Dave E.