[comp.sys.ibm.pc] AMSTRAD computers

ma87rcs@cct.brunel.ac.uk (Robin C Spinks) (07/05/90)

Hi there,

You wanted to know about AMSTRAD computers.. well lets see.

They tend to be very reliable, they dont tend to suffer from Memory Errors or
Disk errors too often and when they do, its usually because you have been doing
something silly, rather than an actual problem.  The 2386 (which is the one I
expect you are after), is Very fast, in fact, for some programs this can even
be a problem, ie some games work too fast.  It has 4Meg of Ram and here in the
UK it is currently coming with a free copy of Windows V2.01 (I think), plus
mouse...  From my own experience (I have always had AMSTRADS) they are very
good, if you want to know more you will have to Email me as I have no News
account and can only read News on a good day..

Hope you choose the right one in the end.

Liz Kimber

ma87rcs@cct.brunel.ac.uk                              - Brunel University
--

alun@ibmpcug.co.uk (Alun Jenkins) (07/06/90)

Hey guy!

 Dont dont dont dont buy Amstrad. I just read the last artical and thought
 it was a joke. Is that person for real ! I used to work for an Amstrad
 super dealer we used to do repairs etc. Just try getting parts. They dont
 come they send the wrong thing, we even had an EGA PSU board come as new
 with chips missing of the board. Get real just say no to Amstrad!

 Alun Jenkins

--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (07/07/90)

In article <1990Jul6.091931.1033@ibmpcug.co.uk>, alun@ibmpcug.co.uk (Alun Jenkins) writes:
> Hey guy!
>
>  Dont dont dont dont buy Amstrad. I just read the last artical and thought
>  it was a joke. Is that person for real ! I used to work for an Amstrad
>  super dealer we used to do repairs etc. Just try getting parts. They dont
>  come they send the wrong thing, we even had an EGA PSU board come as new
>  with chips missing of the board. Get real just say no to Amstrad!

Seconded! If the quality of their PC Clones matches the gear I *have* had
the misfortune to be asked to service, then you can bet that more money was
spent on advertising, and exterior finish than on the real guts of the thing!

Biased? Maybe.. if you GAVE me one, I wouldn't even unpack it!

Dave .

Disclaimer -
I don't speak for my current employer, and they sure as hell don't make gaga
googoo noises on my behalf.