[comp.sys.ibm.pc] The book "Using MS-DOS Kermit"

wjin@cs.purdue.EDU (Woochang Jin) (07/02/90)

I ftp'ed and downloaded kermit 3.01 and began to use it.
BTW, I found that there is no manual for this new version.
But I have a printed manual for the old version (2.32).
And the readme file says that the manual for the new version,
"Using MS-DOS Kemrit" can be purchased.
Do I need to buy this book ?
How is it different from the old manual ?
Since I have been appreciating this good and solid program,
I would like to buy the book if it could contribute to the group
which produced kermit.
Is there any relationship between the group and the author/Digital Press ?

Thanks.

------
W. Jin

bk@kullmar.se (Bo Kullmar) (07/03/90)

In <10947@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> wjin@cs.purdue.EDU (Woochang Jin) writes:

>Do I need to buy this book ?

You may not need it if you have used MS-Kermit a lot.

>How is it different from the old manual ?

The book is a userfriendly description who to use MS-Kermit. It is very
different from the old manual.

>Since I have been appreciating this good and solid program,
>I would like to buy the book if it could contribute to the group
>which produced kermit.

Yes, one purpose of the book is to bring in money to the Kermit Distribuion
and Development. It is a nice book.

>Is there any relationship between the group and the author/Digital Press ?

Yes. Christine M. Gianone is the manager of Kermit Distribution and
Development.

--
Bo Kullmar, Helsingoersg. 38, S-164 42  KISTA, Sweden, Phone +46 8 7511518
UUCP:		{uunet,mcvax,munnari,cernvax,diku,inria,prlb2,tut,ukc,unido}

JRD@cc.usu.edu (Joe Doupnik) (07/06/90)

	A reply to a query on the book "Using MS-DOS Kermit" -
	Yes, the book comes from the Kermit project. It's by Christine
Gianone whose title is Manager of of Kermit Development and Distribution at
Columbia Univ. It's published by Digital Press (DEC) and also distributed
by Prentice Hall. No, we don't make any significant money from the meager
royalties, nor was that the intention. Rather, the intent was to have a
manual for MS-DOS Kermit which was addressed to the ordinary user who wanted
to know how to use the program in everyday activities but who had no interest
in the technical details. Dot matrix printouts just don't make the grade for
them, but an attractively type-set paperback is fine.
	A much more technically inclined book on MS-DOS Kermit is on the
horizon, by me this time, as I get snippets of time to write.
	The book "Using MS-DOS Kermit" comes with Kermit on a floppy disk.
The disk and software is free, as usual, but the book book part is sold by
Digital Press. The computer readable manual, MSKERM.DOC, for version 2.32
is still valid but lacks the large number of new features introduced with
MSK 3.0.
	The book can help computer support people by giving a copy to key
users so they won't ask so many questions.
	If we wanted to make money then we'd be in another business.
Copies can be ordered from any bookseller or directly from Columbia Univ,
Center for Computing Activities; about $29US.
	Actually, I find it to be good reading, despite my obvious biases
on the subject.
	Joe D.

lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) (07/08/90)

From article <10947@medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, by wjin@cs.purdue.EDU (Woochang Jin):
> And the readme file says that the manual for the new version,
> "Using MS-DOS Kemrit" can be purchased.
> Do I need to buy this book ?

Whether you need to get it or not depends upon your experience with Kermit.
Everything you need is available in the V2.32 manual, and the 3.00 and 3.01
release notes.  However, for new Kermit users, the new manual is very good
because it is well written, and provides everything you need to know as either
a new user learning how to use Kermit, or and advanced user who wants a
good reference book.

> How is it different from the old manual ?

I have the book here in front of me.  Here is a list of the chapters from the
table of contents.  The main difference is that while the older documentation
is a good reference manual, the book goes into much more detail for the novice
users, explaining things not covered in the older manual like DOS, Modems, etc.
It also uses a more "hands on" approach with lots of examples and tutorials.

Foreward
Preface

Chapter  1 - Introduction                                      (  1)
Chapter  2 - Getting Started                                   (  9)
Chapter  3 - Basics of MS-DOS                                  ( 15)
Chapter  4 - Cables Connectors and Modems                      ( 23)
Chapter  5 - Testing the Connection                            ( 33)
Chapter  6 - Running MS-DOS Kermit                             ( 43)
Chapter  7 - Getting Online                                    ( 49)
Chapter  8 - Terminal Emulation                                ( 57)
Chapter  9 - File Transfer                                     ( 75)
Chapter 10 - Using a Kermit Server                             ( 93)
Chapter 11 - Making your PC the Remote Computer                (101)
Chapter 12 - Transferring Files without the Kermit Protocol    (107)
Chapter 13 - International Character Sets                      (113)
Chapter 14 - Macros, Command Files, and Scripts                (133)
Chapter 15 - Use of MS-DOS Kermit by people with Disabilities  (159)
Chapter 16 - MS-DOS Kermit Command Summary                     (163)

Glossary                                                       (201)

Appendix 1 - The MS-DOS Kermit Distribution Diskette           (217)
Appendix 2 - Tables                                            (221)

Index                                                          (237)

At our University Bookstore, it cost about $40.00 CDN.  We purchased a copy
to put in our User Support Centre library for users to read.

Hope this answers your questions,
- Kevin Lowey