[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Amstrad computers. Summary of responses

ss2@beach.cis.ufl.edu (SKS) (07/10/90)

	I am summarizing the responses I got to my request for info. on
Amstrad computers.

	I got contradicting opinions on Amstrads.  There were a few people
who expressed that they have no problems with their Amstrads but there
were a lot who vehemently denied that the new line of Amstrads are completely
compatible and advised me not to buy an Amstrad.  Apparently, Amstrad's high
level of customization have resulted in frequent failures of their machines.
This was expressed by atleast two persons who had a chance to service
Amstrads. Consequently I have dropped the idea of buying an Amstrad.

	Thanks for all who responded to my inquiry.  Hope this helps other
netters to come to a conclusion about Amstrads.

	The responses follow.

Shyam Subramanyan

The Amstrad is NOT completly IBM-compatible, if anyone tells you different
they are lying to you.

Find out what software you are planning to use, and ask the vendor if it
will run all of it; then get something in writing, stating what software
will not run on the 'clone' you are planning to buy.

paul.
pmp@beach.cis.ufl.edu

>        Amstrad claims that they are the largest sellers of PC compatible
>machines in Europe and that they outsell IBM. Is there any truth in that?
>Somebody in Europe should be able to confirm this.

Well, I don't know if I can confirm this, but Amstrad really is a very big
manufacturer. At least one sees Amstrads quite often.. in a matter of fact,
I have one on my desk, too. This is one of the older models though, not
the 386 one.

What I've heard of these new Amstrads, doesn't sound very promising. Several
people have told me about different problems. This one (PC1512) works well,
but as I said, this is old.

--

E. K. Holmberg, Co-Sysop of SAS-(M)BBS (+358-21-518-994,24h,V.32ECM)

I am running a amstrad 386 laptop..i have had it for a couple months and
have yet to see anything to complain about...as far as i know..they are
a european company that is fairly large and finally branching out to the
states...the national headquarters for the u.s. is in the dallas texas
area.  they have a 1-800 number and have been very friendly and helpful
to me.  i can give you more specific info if you can give more more of
an idea of what you want to know

-ted

      I don't have the machine you are considering but I had one
        Amstrad 1.5 years ago and I was very satisfied with it. Amstrad
        has lots of 'different' solutions like power suplly in the monitor
        but in spite of that I haven't heard anything discouraging yet.

>        Amstrad claims that they are the largest sellers of PC compatible
>machines in Europe and that they outsell IBM. Is there any truth in that?
>Somebody in Europe should be able to confirm this.

        At least it was like that a year or two ago although I don't know
        the current situation. I think they sell exactly the same machines
        (Amstrads) with a different name (e.g. Schneider) in some places
        (in Germany I saw those) but I am not 100% sure.

                        Mark
Yes!! Amstrad is a large manufacturer of low cost clones in Europe. A few years
back the introduced the amazing AMSTRAD PCW 8512, PC1512 etc....

One problem that you might encounter is their level of "customization". The
PC 1512 which I had required that it's monitor (grey-scale) provide the power
supply. This prevented me from upgrading easily to a regular monitor.Also there
is a recess on the top of the CPU box where the monitor and batteries were
fitted. Even if you managed to use another monitor,you would still have an ugly
cavity in the system box.

Besides that I found their systems highly impressive. They supply a mouse,GEM
and a few other goodies with ALL of their PC systems.

Mind you I've only had and used the PCW 8512, PC 1512 and a number of the
color monitor /hard drive models (CM & HD).

I have not seen or used the 80286 and 80386 class machines.

Hope that helps.

Chima Echeruo

I am right now using an Amstrad 286 12.5MHz computer.  I've only had it for
a couple of months, but I'm pretty happy with it (no problems so far at
least).

>       Thanks in advance for your help.  I will summarise the response
>provided there exists enough interest.

Yes, please let me know what you find out.  I don't know anyone else
who has one of these babies, and I would like to know what others think.

***********************************Oh boy!*************************************
Quote:  "Sometimes weird things just happen." Sam, QUANTUM LEAP
Disclamer: "Disclaim THIS, pal!" (my employer thinks I'm working)
Debbie Brown: cci632!jloda!deb -OR- deb%jloda@cci632
********** It's 1995: do you know where your quantum physicist is? ************

i gave up a compaq deskpro 286 to get this machine and i have had less
problems with lockups, etc than with the deskpro...i am running a form
of unix.  I am running dos 3.3 BUT i found a file on a bbs that has about
75 of the unix utils including the make and a shell.  with all of that in
a directory it is like running a dual os...the utils are directly compatible
with the Sun Sparcs, HP 9000's, Ti's, Xerox, and other unix systems taht
we have at UT.  I have all the usual file and directory utils along with
the encode, decode, compress, uncompress stuff.  I hear prentice hall
has a book that comes with a os called minix for around $100 that actually
boots you up into a system v environment...if it is compatible then it is
much cheaper than unix or xenix ...i am happy with what i am doing now
though having both running together.  feel free to ask any questions i
have been trying to locate another amstrad user...i have about 2 or 3 so
far..

ted

ss2@beach.cis.ufl.edu (SKS) writes:
>        I am thinking of purchasing an Amstrad 386 20MHZ computer ...
>        Also, the machine has a lot of stuff built into the motherboard
> like the VGA card etc. although it provides 5 standard expansion slots.
> Has this kind of configuration caused problems to anybody?

I'm typing this article on a 2386 at the moment.

They are very good machines with a high level of standard hardware, eg
minimum configuration is 4MB of RAM, VGA and 65MB HDD in most countries.
64k static RAM cache means zero wait states, much better than most.
Older machines with an early BIOS had a lot of problems related to hard
disks and random lockups, however all dud BIOSes should have been
replaced (wherever you are in the world) at least a year ago.

Amstrad have traditionally fitted Seagate ST277R drives mounted
transversely behind the two 3.5" floppy blanking plates to the right of
the single 1.44 drive. They have never been too fussy about drive
quality, and I have personally seen 65MB drives with up to 450k in bad
sectors. The manual states "up to 1% bad sectors" is acceptable - don't
take that bullsh*t! If its over 80k, its too high. Modern drives simply
don't have any bad sectors, or only a few k maximum.

Additionally, check the disk access time. For a long time, standard
ST277R's were fitted which - believe me - are DOG SLOW in a 20MHz 386.
The one I'm using is a 1990 model with an ST277R-1: allegedly 28ms but
more like 33. Definitely marginal in a fast machine.

Check to see if the drive is using the on-board controller or if it is
disabled and using a 16-bit controller in one of the slots. Most do.

> P.S. Anybody tried running OS/2 or UN*X on Amstrad machines?

I haven't tried OS/2, but an English Amstrad PC magazine for May '90 had
a "how-to" on installing an Amstrad-specific version of SCO-Xenix. I made
enquiries but the product seems to be UK-only - ask locally.

Regards
 Charlie "The Bear" Lear

>        I am thinking of purchasing an Amstrad 386 20MHZ computer  with

STOP, think first!!
I'm working for a company for the summer who used to deal
a lot with Amstrads. We were experiencing a 200% failure rate (on average)
with Amstrad machines, these include the PC2086, PC2286 and PC2386.
Apparently the 386 has the worst record, so much so that we wouldn't
touch them anymore, but we still have a lot of 8086 and 80286 machines
on site giving problems. No matter how good a deal you are getting it is
not worth it, because Amstrad and the third party companies they contract
to repair their machines give to too much hassle in getting them repaired.
Having been on an Amstrad training course for repairing their machines, I
can say that the problems are not usually that simple, and often require
spare parts or a new unit - both of which are difficult to get from Amstrad.
I would advise you to look at an alternative machine. Olivetti and Dell are
two very good makes worth looking at.

>         Amstrad claims that they are the largest sellers of PC compatible
> machines in Europe and that they outsell IBM. Is there any truth in that?
> Somebody in Europe should be able to confirm this.

Well I don't know much about that, but I wouldn't really believe it.

						     jagrogan@vax1.tcd.ie

Hey guy!

 Dont dont dont dont buy Amstrad. I just read the last article and thought
 it was a joke. Is that person for real ! I used to work for an Amstrad
 super dealer we used to do repairs etc. Just try getting parts. They dont
 come they send the wrong thing, we even had an EGA PSU board come as new
 with chips missing of the board. Get real just say no to Amstrad!

 Alun Jenkins

>  Dont dont dont dont buy Amstrad. I just read the last artical and thought
>  it was a joke. Is that person for real ! I used to work for an Amstrad
>  super dealer we used to do repairs etc. Just try getting parts. They dont
>  come they send the wrong thing, we even had an EGA PSU board come as new
>  with chips missing of the board. Get real just say no to Amstrad!

Seconded! If the quality of their PC Clones matches the gear I *have* had
the misfortune to be asked to service, then you can bet that more money was
spent on advertising, and exterior finish than on the real guts of the thing!

Biased? Maybe.. if you GAVE me one, I wouldn't even unpack it!

Dave .