[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MS-DOS system call references?

glenn@hpldola.HP.COM (Glenn Sisson) (07/07/90)

What is the best reference to DOS system calls?  Is buying a Tech Ref
manual for the appropriate MS-DOS version the best bet?  Is anyone else
out there publishing an appropriate document/book to cover this area?
I'm looking for a 4.01 reference right now, but may want references to
previous versions as well.

--- glenn

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (07/10/90)

In article <11250144@hpldola.HP.COM> glenn@hpldola.HP.COM (Glenn Sisson) writes:
>What is the best reference to DOS system calls?  Is buying a Tech Ref
>manual for the appropriate MS-DOS version the best bet?  Is anyone else
>out there publishing an appropriate document/book to cover this area?
>I'm looking for a 4.01 reference right now, but may want references to
>previous versions as well.
>
>--- glenn

	If you are not familiar with the massive information on interrupts
and various system calls for DOS contained in :

	Simtel archives-

		PD1:<MSDOS.INFO>1216REF2.ARC
	and	PD1:<MSDOS.INFO>INTER290.ZIP

you might start there to see if those files contain what you seek.

Good Luck...
  _   _  | Bob Davis              \\\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com
_| |_| | | Harris Corporation, ESS \\\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny
_/\/\/\|_| Advanced Technology Dept.\\\ AETHER : K4VNO          |Opinions here
 |_| |_| | PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\\ VOICE : (407) 727-5886 |are solely
_________| Melbourne, FL 32902	      \\\  FAX : (407) 729-2537 |my own.

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (07/10/90)

In an article glenn@hpldola.HP.COM (Glenn Sisson) wrote:
>What is the best reference to DOS system calls?  Is buying a Tech Ref
>manual for the appropriate MS-DOS version the best bet?  Is anyone else

The best source is the file maintained by Ralf Brown, and available on
such sites as simtel20 and wuarchive.wustl.edu.  It is regularly updated,
and I believe the current version is INTER290.ZIP, in the PD1:<MSDOS.INFO>
directory.  It is over 200 k long!
In my opinion this is better than the commercially available books.

--
John Dudeck                                 "I always ask them, How well do
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                            you want it tested?"

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (07/10/90)

}
}and I believe the current version is INTER290.ZIP, in the PD1:<MSDOS.INFO>
}directory.  It is over 200 k long!

INTER390.ZIP will be out next weekend.  Ask for it at an archive site near
you :-)

--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf  ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/3.1
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask